• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Concealed Sprinkler - Interstitial Space

indyarchyguy

We have a Type I structure that is currently not spinklered. The client wants to provide a lower ceiling in the facility. This would create an interstitial space that is built from non-combustible materials and is 21-feet in total height (above the ceiling). They would prefer not to sprinkler that interstitial space. The sprinkler contractor told them if it is not accessible, they do not have to sprinkler it. Per my review of NFPA 13, I found:

"8.14.1.2* Concealed Spaces Not. Requiring Sprinkler Protection.

Noncombustible and limited combustible concealed spaces with no combustible loading having no access shall not require sprinkler protection. The space shall be considered a concealed space even with small openings such as those used as return air for a plenum."

My biggest concern is the sheer volume. I have reviewed Chapter 7 (more specifically 718) of the 2012 IBC and cannot seem to find anything that would prevent this. It just seems blatantly odd to me that there doesn't seem to be a limit that I can find.

So yes, I am performing a sanity check. Your help is much appreciated.