• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Concrete curing

Coder

Silver Member
Can't count how many times I have seen a concrete foundation poured one day, the forms stripped and subfloor framing begin the next day. What about curing of the concrete? All I could find on the subject either residential or commercial is 2009 IBC Section 1905.11 Curing. The length of time, temperature and moisture conditions for curing of concrete shall be in accordance with ACI 318, Section 5.11. Is this something that I have been missing? Does anyone see to it that foundations are kept wet/covered for an adequate amount of time to cure? :wstupid

There is a special inspection requirement in Chapter 17 having to do with the verification that the curing requirements have been implemented.

The critical issue is maintaining the temperature above 50 degrees F in the early days. If the engineer has not specified curing requirements ask him to do so. In some situations curing compound sprayed on the concrete may be considered satisfactory. It depends on the expected temperature and humidity as well as the required structural strength of the foundations. This is a determination best left to the design engineer.

Unless slabs on grade are considered as transferring structural loads it can be argued that they are not covered by ACI 318 and thus there is no formal code requirement for curing.

ACI has two very good references: Hot Weather Concreting and (surprisingly enough) - Cold Weather Concreting. (Actually, I think they are called The Practioner's Guide to Cold/Hot weather concreting). They are marvelous references for any inspector.

While the hot and cold weather curing documents mentioned are useful I do not believe that ACI 318 requires conformance with them. Thus the building official/inspector cannot require conformance with them. This is why I recommend having the engineer provide clarification regarding what is needed.

They are more explanatory in nature; however there are case studies which educate. I suggested to a couple of my clients get them (they did).. and called me to say "thanks".

Maybe what I do for holiday gifts this year for my clients.. books

The concrete will continue to cure while framing begins...not a problem in my opinion unless it is a special foundation system, or if they crank down the hold down anchors too soon.

Unbalanced backfill without lateral stabilization is pretty well covered in in book. The hard part is finding the violation unless you just happen to be in the neighborhood.

Well it rained pretty good here over the weekend. That and backfill on both sides of the fndtn wall ought to achieve a pretty good cure on the concrete. Not going to worry about it too much.