• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Concrete Wall reinforcement

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
Hi Folks,

Based on the 2006 IRC. A couple of scenarios:

First:

12" concrete foundation wall

8' tall

7' unbalanced backfill

Type SC soil

Second:

10" concrete foundation wall

7' tall

7' unbalanced backfill

Type GW soil

Question What size vertical reinforcement on what centers for each case and where did you find the requirements?

Thanks in Advance

Bill

Thanks Daywalker,

That's where I was looking. Table R404.1.1(5) says PC for each configuration. Unfortunately that's not the answer that I was being asked to retrieve.

Thank You

Bill

Structural plain concrete has no reinforcement or with less reinforcement than the minimum amount specified for reinforced concrete. In other words, plain concrete does not require reinforcement.

Ok, It happened again! I was asked to return the size and spacing of the vertical reinforcement for an 8" concrete foundation wall 9' tall with 7' of unbalanced backfill. With type SC soil. Table R404.1.1(5) returns #6 @ 38". Unfortunately this choice was not was not available.

2006 IRC

Am I missing something?

TIA

Bill

you also need to know the lateral soil load, but the table footnotes allow you to figure the equivalent amount of steel using smaller bars spaced closer.. it's a pain in the neck to do.. finding #6 on the concrete guys truck is pretty rare. And you can interpolate the table; however when the next step up allows plain concrete that's hard to do.. engineered design is the only other option.