• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Condensing Unit Clearance

the_clockwork

I am building a new house and have local setback requirements for the condenser but not finding clearance codes for outdoor condensers outside of manufacturer IOM. Can someone cite where it states clearance requirements in the code or cite where, in the code, it states to follow manufacturer guidelines?

California Mechanical Code 303.1 Based on the 2018 UMC. Not sure what code has been adopted in Kansas.

Sounds like the local jurisdiction as zoning setback form the property line for condenser, this has nothing to do with the manufactures or buildng code requirements

I got zoning setback from property line and compliant with that, surprised clearance around the unit isn't part of the code outside of NEC codes

2021 IMC:
304.1 requires appliances to be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
306.1 also requires a 30x30 level working space on the control side to service the appliance, in addition to the manufacturer's clearances.

I am building a new house and have local setback requirements for the condenser but not finding clearance codes for outdoor condensers outside of manufacturer IOM. Can someone cite where it states clearance requirements in the code or cite where, in the code, it states to follow manufacturer guidelines?
Every listed piece of equipment that is listed, so far to my short 35 years in the industry, has installation instructions. In this case, clearances on equipment are subject to those instructions at a minimum. The local jurisdiction. 99 times out of 100 Planning Departments, require some form of clearance for access. It may be from their first responders in that local, but nonetheless a part of their requirements.
Hope this helps

There are many different models and configurations of condensers, heat pumps, etc. A code that listed every one made would be extremely cumbersome, and would have to be updated every time somebody came out with a new model.

There are many different models and configurations of condensers, heat pumps, etc. A code that listed every one made would be extremely cumbersome, and would have to be updated every time somebody came out with a new model.
No code lists specific models or configurations. It simply states, as in California Mechanical Code in 301.2, Approval: Equipment or appliance shall be approved by the AHJ for safe use OR comply with applicable nationally recognized standards as evidenced by the listing and label of an approved agency. Normally, the listing takes care of it. Of course, there may be a one off from time to time, which has the AHJ question that, but that is also where the Alternate Means and Materials could be of assistance to both designer and AHJ.

Installation instructions also require a level condenser. If the condenser is not level the fan bearings might suffer.

I know for all standard AC and heat pumps all the manufacturers have at least 12" from wall or other equipment clearances some state clearances from above like an overhang but most don't. Unfortunately, I believe it's one of those follow manufacturers install instruction codes. I always tried to keep mine 24" away at a min to give it room to breathe and to service it when I install them.

To summarize, requirements could be developed by selecting the most stringent among all of the following:
  • Local Zoning code setback requirements (ask your city's planning department).
  • Locally adopted Mechanical code requirements for a work area to service the appliance. (Note: if your condenser has a nearby electrical disconnect switch, the clearance for that will be in your locally adopted Electrical code.)
  • Manufacturer's installation instructions which will state the required clearances in order to achieve proper and efficient airflow around the condenser coils.

To summarize, requirements could be developed by selecting the most stringent among all of the following:
  • Local Zoning code setback requirements (ask your city's planning department).
  • Locally adopted Mechanical code requirements for a work area to service the appliance. (Note: if your condenser has a nearby electrical disconnect switch, the clearance for that will be in your locally adopted Electrical code.)
  • Manufacturer's installation instructions which will state the required clearances in order to achieve proper and efficient airflow around the condenser coils.
You can't pick just one as they all apply.