• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Conference Room Front of Room ADA Compliance

beauchomps

Hello all - in conference spaces with front of room displays on a monitor mount I have a condition wherein the display protrudes 6'' from the wall. Is this an ADA compliance issue?

Initially I was told that since the display is not in the primary path of travel/egress or circulation ADA code

ICC A1171. Section 307.2 addresses protruding objects (referenced by WA State Bldg Code) and 2010 ADA Section 307.2. Both limited protrusions to 4" or less within circulation above 27" AFF.

However the ambiguity is what is considered circulation. I understand that it is not limited to the following but per the following -

ADAAG § 106 as passages (exterior or interior) for pedestrians, such as “walks, hallways, courtyards, elevators, platform lifts, ramps, stairways, and landings.” Thus, an area connecting to a corridor or a particular room may be a circulation path.

Would the front of a conference room apply since it is not essential for path of travel/connection to corridors?

Fellow WA here... not that WA is unique with relation to this code section.

It is a bit of a judgement call as Steveray said. If it appears that people would walk around the end of a conference table or other fixture and force them near the wall where the projection exists, then I would say that you need a rail or some other item to alert people to the projection.

See IBC Section 1003.3.
1628028189019.png

I don't think the presence of a table that creates a pathway has any bearing on the situation. The tv extends too far from the wall.