• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Confession time

Yikes

Gold Member
Since we're generally ananymous here - - has anyone here who is a building official ever done the following:

1. Bootlegged construction on your own home, which is in another jurisdiction?

2. Bootlegged construction on your own home, which is in your own jurisdiciton?

3. Bootlegged construction on a city-owned structure?

4. Helped a friend or relative with techniques to avoid getting caught while bootlegging?

+ + + +

Just out of curiosity, why are you restricting this topic to only

Building Officials? :confused:

+ + + +

FOOTBALL a type of play in which the quarterback fakes a handoff to a running back and then runs, usually around the defensive end, with the ball held hidden behind a hip

Sorry watching the BCS game

To make, sell, or transport (alcoholic liquor) for sale illegally.

Why yes all except at a city building, that would be illegal , what is wrong with a drink while hot wiring a room???

Yikes,

You certainly are totally anonymous. Your profile doesn't provide what you do for a living; your profession; what State you are in; or even what country.

I think I'll pass,

Uncle Bob

Yeah, pretty easy to bare all when you have not given a clue about yourself, or the answer to your own question...

FWIW...

"bootlegged [ in this context ]" - me thinks is performing unpermitted work!

Other phrases associated with this type of work:

...being hypocritical,

...talking the talk, but not walking the walk,

...do as I say, not as I do

..."pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, he is unimportant" - [ from The Wizard of Oz ]

( i.e. - diversionary spin )

Now, ...go have a nice day! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Building Official so I won't comment on Yikes question. However have to apologize for not having information on my back ground. I did not fill in all the information when I joined this awesome group, however just filled in the blanks:) Thanks for the heads up Uncle Bob.

If I remember correctly from the old ICC board, Yikes is an architect in one of the midwestern states, right?

He is man with pencil who draw, not one of the Men In Black who travel by means of black, unmarked helicopters.

And Yikes, for your information, I have no knowledge of such illegal activity, nor would I be disposed to discuss it if I did.

Well I don't know if Yikes question applies so how about this I work for a government agency that does work on its building without permits. And they ignore the codes.

Here is an interesting link: http://www.lawlink.com/research/caselevel3/71307

And keep this one in your back pocket if you are a code official. Your attorney will need it if you take on your employer.

Kevin,

With good reason; many do not give their specific employer or city they work in; someone who becomes upset with you or your comments; could cause you problems by contacting and harrassing your employer.

But, basic information; that tells us what kind of work you do is helpful in answering many questions. Example; I am a retired municipal code inspector living in Oklahoma.

I think that providing your State and profession helps all of us to have a general idea of where the question is coming from; and how best to answer it. Without this basic information it is sometimes difficult to provide a reasonable answer to questions; and, it's always easier to discuss a topic when you know the profession of the other people involved.

If not; the person posting a comment or especially a question should give the State or Codes they are refering to; so we know what codes are applicable.

Too much personal information can be a bad thing,

Uncle Bob

Bootlegging 101:

How to undermine your personal credibility and that of your office. . .

No thanks,

OK, UB, I'll confess -

I am an architect in Southern California. My company does many different kinds of work, including consulting to the planning department of the city in which I live. My community has a large population of relatively wealthy immigrants, andwhen it comes to development, part of our job as consultants is to explain to them how they must play by the rules of our civic culture, meaning they need to get planning and building approvals.

Last summer I started a small remodel within my house. No expansion of square footage, but reconfiguring what I already had. I justified that I did not really need a permit. Then - like many home remodels - the scope of work expanded, and next thing I knew I was completely rewiring and replumbing the house, subdividing the laundry room to create a new bathroom, and redoing the entire kitchen. I was about to drywall everything closed and I still had not pulled a permit; I was so far along, I could have gotten away with it.

Around that time, the planning director called me up and told me how much the city appreciated my work, and (except for the fact that I was already a hired consultant) they would've nominated me for the design review board. The next day I awoke and realized that unless I pulled permit, I could never look those immigrants straight in the eye, let alone the planning director and building official. So I quickly drove down to the building department and told my friends at the building department that my little home improvement project was now definitely something that needed a permit, and I needed to let someone there know, before I actually got away with it. They appreciated me coming clean, and there was much friendly debate afterward as to whether I could have ultimately suceeded (I would have - - I know how to hide telltale 'drywall footprints' in the driveway).

Anyway, it ended up costing several thousand dollars more (time-wise and dollar-wise) to do it under permit, but at least I can sleep with a good conscience... not only because it's all legit, but also because the permit fees paid the salaries of those who hired me as a consultant.

So that was my journey. Anyone else?

Good for your, Yikes.

As for personal information and anonymity on this board, I am a public servant. And as such, I believe it is easier to be open and transparent in all my transactions, rather than to try to remember just what I did or didn't post (or say). Keep it simple. Be honest.

:^ )

Glad to see you did the right thing

Confession time

Since we're generally ananymous here - - has anyone here who is a building official ever done the following:

No permits or inspections required where I live except for electrical. Yes I got one.

Will not live in the jurisdiction where I am employed

No they have parks and public works department employees for that.

4. Helped a friend or relative with techniques to avoid getting caught while bootlegging?

No they are all pretty good on their own.

yikes,

I am happy you did the right thing. My Sister and brother-in-law did a large addition to their house and asked me for advise. They hired an unlicensed remodeler to to make the addition and under the homestead laws; pulled the permit themselves (at least got it inspected). But, I told them that they may have insurance problems if there ever was a fire. They have been luck so far. I didn't rat on them; the local inspectors were going along with them anyway; but, advised them against it. So far they are lucky.

Sorry about the expense; but, peace of mind has value.

No, I didn't break the law while I was an Inspector or while I was a Building Official.

Uncle Bob

Never on one of my own properties, but remodeled a building department in the basement of a city hall in about 1968 without one, it was stated right in the bid package that a building permit wasn't necessary, they did inspect everything though.

Yikes said:
... The next day I awoke and realized that unless I pulled permit, I could never look those immigrants straight in the eye, let alone the planning director and building official.... So that was my journey. Anyone else?
I too have had trouble looking immigrants straight in the eye, though it is usually when they are significantly shorter or taller than I am.

Nope

Nope

Nope

Nope

Now as far as 1-2 are concerned..I live in a small community, I worked for the community as BO, EVERYBODY watched me like a hawk. They were afraid i was going to perform work that I made them get permits for so I ALWAYS secured permits and had an inspector from a neighbor city to inspect my work. Now this is while I was employed there.

Also had a brother-in-law that built a new house in the jurisdiction I worked in, I was inspecting it until we got to the framing and citizens were raising hell about me inspection for my own family members. I guess they thought I was going to cut corners just because it was family! Actually I was tougher on the contractors because I was able to go by more often! When they started complaining..I just called the inspector that inspected the work when I performed work on my own house to inspect the work.

#3 Now that I work in a different jurisdiction from where I live I go by what is in black and white as I did in previous jurisdictions I worked in. If any work the city performs requires a licensed professional to perform the work...then a licensed professional secures the permit and performs the work. We do not charge a fee but a permit is issued.