• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Confusing: "the length of the landing shall not be required to be more than 48 inches"

Ryan Schultz

Exception 2 is confusing to me.
I'm really looking for minimum dimensions to the landing, and the wording of exception 2 doesn't really provide that.

Anyone have any insights into this?

1012.6.3 Length

The landing length shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum.
Exceptions:

1. In Group R-2 and R-3 individual dwelling and sleeping units that are not required to be Accessible units, Type A units or Type B units in accordance with Section 1107, landings are permitted to be 36 inches (914 mm) minimum.
  2. Where the ramp is not a part of an accessible route, the length of the landing shall not be required to be more than 48 inches (1220 mm) in the direction of travel.

A117.1 has a graphic where the length is shown as 60 inches. IBC requires the same length but has an exception to reduce the minimum length to 48 inches when the ramp is not part of an accessible route.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 2
I would say that, editorially, they put the two exceptions in the wrong order. The way I think it shakes out is, for ramps that are part of an accessible route, the landing length has to be at least 60 inches. For any ramp that is not part of an accessible route, the landing length can be 48 inches in length. THEN -- for R-2 and R-3 dwelling and sleeping units only, if they are not accessible or adaptable units the landing length can be as short as 36 inches.