• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Connecting Doors Between Classrooms

LGreene

An interesting question has come up with regard to security for the connecting doors between classrooms. In a nutshell, some classrooms - typically kindergarten and preschool, are over the area / occupant load limit and require a second means of egress - with panic hardware. These rooms wouldn't have more students than the other grades, the younger kids just need more space. I posted a lot more information and questions on my blog, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to handle these rooms. There is a project we're currently trying to come up with a solution for. http://idighardware.com/2013/12/wwyd-connecting-classroom-doors/

Since the perceived need today is more security and creating a system to "lock down" a school I suggest there will be a point the school will have to be classified as an I-3 to be code compliant.

I know cost is the first thing schools gripe about but if you want security and life safety I think you need to be looking at some type of electronic locking hardware that can be operated from either side but also connected to the fire alarm system to release if needed.

The connecting doors in the classroom walls are not adequate.... security issues, door swing, and problematic furniture placement. Besides, i don't believe the egress through a classroom door into another classroom qualifies as an intervening room.

just my $0.02 worth.

Builder Bob said:
The connecting doors in the classroom walls are not adequate.... security issues, door swing, and problematic furniture placement. Besides, i don't believe the egress through a classroom door into another classroom qualifies as an intervening room.just my $0.02 worth.
That's a great point. If a second means of egress is required, does a door leading through another classroom qualify?

"The code does not limit the number of intervening or adjoining rooms through which egress can be made, provided that all other code requirements (i.e., travel distance, number of doorways, etc.) are met."http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_10_sec014.htm''>http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_10_sec014.htm' rel="external nofollow">

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_10_sec014.htm

1011.1 Where required. Exits and exit access doors shall be marked by an approved exit sign readily visible from any direction of egress travel. The path of egress travel to exits and within exits shall be marked by readily visible exit signs to clearly indicate the direction of egress travel in cases where the exit or the path of egress travel is not immediately visible to the occupants. Intervening means of egress doors within exits shall be marked by exit signs. Exit sign placement shall be such that no point in an exit access corridor or exit passageway is more than 100 feet (30 480 mm) or the listed viewing distance for the sign, whichever is less, from the nearest visible exit sign.

SECTION 1014 EXIT ACCESS

1014.1 General. The exit access shall comply with the applicable provisions of Sections 1003 through 1013. Exit access arrangement shall comply with Sections 1014 through 1019.

Sections 1014 through 1019 include the design requirements for exit access and exit access components. The general requirements that also apply to the exit access are in Sections 1003 through 1013.

1014.2 Egress through intervening spaces. Egress through intervening spaces shall comply with this section.

1. Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.

Exception: Means of egress are not prohibited through adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces in a Group H, S or F occupancy when the adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces are the same or a lesser hazard occupancy group.

2. An exit access shall not pass through a room that can be locked to prevent egress.

3. Means of egress from dwelling units or sleeping areas shall not lead through other sleeping areas, toilet rooms or bathrooms.

4. Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes.

cda said:
SECTION 1014 EXIT ACCESS 1. Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.
Would you consider one classroom accessory to another classroom?

Yes the classrooms are interrelated to one another. For example where more than 10 per room in day care; the 2 exits needs to be diagonal apart as the exit doors from each room.

Conference halls that have divider walls provided with exit doors in them diagonal apart of the permant exit doors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on construction details the egress through an adjoining classroom might qualify as a horizontal exit.

And we use the term 'accessory' pretty loosely in the code. Is the fast food mini-restaurant at the front of the big box store really 'accessory' to the big box store? For code review, yes. As a practical matter the fast food joint relies on the big box store to be open for customers to access their menu items, but that's about as far as the inter-relationship goes.

Lastly, and I made this point on your blog BTW, State Departments of Education often have more restrictive requirements than the codes. NYS has had DOE regulations much longer than we've had a Statewide Building or Fire Code, and many of those regs were born of disaster like the Codes. NYS DOE requires, among other things, secondary egress from classrooms with a lower threshold than the Code. Perhaps your answer may lie somewhere beyond the code?

I might consider them accessory, but then does the added load in the second room put you over the requirements for 2 exit access doors in that room? Discernable path might be floor marking in some AHJ's....