• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Consistency in the profession, no I mean industry

Be my guest CDA... it just so happens that I do know most of the building officials in a goodly portion of the state [having been in the state building officials organization for a long time helps] and even those just across the state line to the west. And yes, we do talk regularly. One contractor used the line, the 'County doesn't make us do that.' to which I replied: 'Really, I was the BO in the county for ten years, and the last time I talked to Eric [the current BO] they were still doing things the way we did then.' His reply? 'Oh, never mind.' I think peer organizations, and groups such as we have on this website are essential to getting consistency to the extent possible.

When the footer is at 36" to the top from grade then it is completely below the frost of 36".

If I tell them 42" to the bottom of the footer and they pour an 8" footer then the top would not be below the frost THEREFORE we tell them what the frost depth is to the TOP of the footer. This way the footer is always below the frost line. Don't see how that can be wrong.