• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Construction Types/SubTypes

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
In the beginning there were nine construction types. Do the various subtypes ( A's VS B's ) have anything in common? Or is IIA just more "II" than a IIB?

That would be the question.

Bill

If you look at Table 601, the "A" designation has fire resistive requirements while the "B" designation does not. The exception is I-B which is basically the old Type II-FR from the UBC, and III-B requires the exterior walls to be rated.

The UBC and IBC use different terms but are basically the same. See the camparison below.

UBC I-FR II-FR II-1 hr II-N III-1hr III-N IV-HT V-1hr V-N

IBC I-A I-B II-A II-B III-A III-B IV V-A V-B

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to take the ICC Commercial Contractor Class A exam (614) soon and am determined to do well. I'm sure I'll have many more questions before I'm ready.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Bill

This may sound silly, but for exam memorization purposes, it always helped me to think of Type III buildings like an egg: hard shell on the outside, soft on the inside, in terms of fire resistance.