• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Continuing Education

LGreene

I am working on some online courses that are code-related (regarding doors, of course). I know how to register courses for continuing education credit in our state (Massachusetts), but I'm wondering if there is a way to register a course with the ICC or another national organization that would make it acceptable for use in any state. In Massachusetts there are CEU requirements for contractors / construction supervisors. Are fire marshals and building inspectors required to have continuing education?

As far as getting blessed US wide, that may be a chore.

Texas I would say is liberal as to what qualiifies for CE, all we need is 20 hours a year,

Continuing education (CE)

How many hours of continuing education do you require?

You must complete 20 hours of continuing education to renew all of your certificates. (If you have a Hazmat Technician certificate, you must complete an additional 10 hours, for a total of 30 hours.)

What types of continuing education do I have to complete?

There are two types of continuing education. Individual certificate holders can document either "Track A," "Track B" or a combination of the two.

•"Track A" is training that repeats course material from any basic curriculum in which you hold your certification. Since we only allow four hours of "Track A" training in any one subject, you would have to document a minimum of five subjects. (Fire departments that provide this kind of training can use Form TCFP-010, Continuing Education Documentation Form or issue "certificates of completion.") We also accept copies of "certificates of completion" from websites or certified training facilities. The "certificate of completion" must have the name and signature of the commission-certified instructor who taught the class.

Please refer to the appropriate chapter of the Certification Curriculum Manual to find the list of Track A subjects for the certification(s) you hold.

•"Track B" is training to develop new skills. Examples of "Track B" training are National Fire Academy (NFA) courses, fire service-related seminars, or college courses in fire science. Submit copies of "certificates of completion" from these courses to document "Track B" courses. (We also accept copies of official college transcripts as documentation of college courses in fire science.)

Where and how can I get continuing education as an individual certificate holder?

As an individual certificate holder, you are responsible for finding your own continuing education. There are several places to get continuing education, including:

•Commission-certified training facilities. Contact the commission-certified training facilities in your area for information about upcoming classes.

•Fire departments. You can document CE you earn in a classroom by sending us Form TCFP-010, Continuing Education Documentation Form . Please note that the commission-certified instructor who taught the classes must sign the form.

•On-line continuing education providers. You can document this kind of training by sending us a copy of your certificate of completion or a summary printed from the training provider's website. The standards division has the following contact information for online CE training providers: •eGenesis, Teresa James, 1-866-538-9911, www.egenesis.cc

•FirefighterCE | CE Solutions, Lee Henry, 1-888-447-1993, www.ems-ce.com or www.firefighterce.com

•Days Spring Associates, FAX 1-866-723-8211

•International Association of Arson Investigators, CFITrainer.Net

•Houston Fire Department, OnlineFireCE.com

•Target Solutions, 10805 Rancho Bernardo Road, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92127, (858) 592-6880, www.targetsolutions.com

•CentreLearn Solutions, LLC, 1-877-435-9309, www.centrelearn.com

•FETN (Fire and Emergency Training Network), 1-800-624-2272, www.fetn.com

•24-7 Fire, (888) 240-4911, http://www.24-7fire.com , e-mail 24-7Fireinfo@hsi.com

•Fire-CE.com, LLC, http://www.fire-ce.com

•Kaplan Fire & EMS, 6301 Kaplan University Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309, (954) 267-3694, www.kaplansolutions.com

•National Fire Academy (or other nationally recognized training providers). You must provide a certificate of completion to document this training. The certificate of completion must include the subject, date and number of hours completed.

•Fire science college programs. You must send a copy of an official transcript to document completion of a college course in fire science.

For your first year as an individual certificate holder (and your first year only), completing a basic academy in the twelve months prior to the expiration date of your first renewal period will count as CE. To document this, send us a copy of your "certification of completion" from your academy (along with your application and fee) at the time of renewal.

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certification/renewal_FAQs.asp#CE_types

Thank you both - that's great information. This is from the ICC document:

Participation as a student in a seminar or technical session delivered

by ICC, ICC chapter, related professional association, state code enforcement

licensing agency, standards writing organization, or any

related federally sponsored program

If a program is registered with the AIA or the Door & Hardware Institute, would that be considered a "related professional association"?

Charles - Would a course that's acceptable to the ICC be acceptable in Texas?

Oklahoma used to have a requirement for CEU's but never kept up on it. All they require now is "C" notes for renewals every year. Our local supply houses have expos that brought in factory trained instructors for different products and signed CEU certificates that were sent to the state then trashed.

Charles - Would a course that's acceptable to the ICC be acceptable in Texas?

Oh yea!!!

California has CALBO, http://www.calbo.org/ , and they offer classes with CEUs.

"If a program is registered with the AIA or the Door & Hardware Institute, would that be considered a "related professional association"?"

Simple answer - Yes There is a difference on what the credits are called between the organizations if I remember correctly.

Lori,

Mass now requires approved coursed for construction supervisor licenses 12 hours every 2 years, and has required continuing ED for building officials 45 hours every three years, look to the BBRS web site for more information.

several yeas ago after my first 3 yes as a CBO ran out ICC accepted my transcript from Mass to my ICC continuing ed. Now the ICC only requires you to enter your credits in to a data base, then in a separate site attest that you have maintained your credits and they will renew, which remind me my ICC is due.

Oregon requires contractors to get continuing education. But, it the responsibility of the contractor to keep track of the hours and content. There is no effort by the Contractors Board to moniter course content or hours. Contractors are supposed to keep records in case they are audited. Residential contractors have certain courses they take, but as we do not do residential, that is outside my scope of practice. But, fire doors are probably outside the scope of residential contractors.

TheCommish said:
Lori,Mass now requires approved coursed for construction supervisor licenses 12 hours every 2 years, and has required continuing ED for building officials 45 hours every three years, look to the BBRS web site for more information.

several yeas ago after my first 3 yes as a CBO ran out ICC accepted my transcript from Mass to my ICC continuing ed. Now the ICC only requires you to enter your credits in to a data base, then in a separate site attest that you have maintained your credits and they will renew, which remind me my ICC is due.
Thanks Commish. I spoke to someone from the BBRS a few weeks ago about it, and I understand the process to get on the list of approved courses for Mass. I am trying to avoid having to do this for each state individually, by having classes certified/approved by a national organization. I just want to make sure that a course that's acceptable to that national organization would count toward the credits required by the state.

Registering it with the AIA meets the CEU requirements of most states for architects.

So long as it is classified as HSW.