• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Continuity of Fire Alarm

Plumb-bob

I have a building that is F-2 on ground floor with residential above.

1691692124743.png

1691692087256.png
Is the intent of sentence 4 "as if it were a separate building" to dis-allow occupancies on top of one another? In other words, a horizontal fire separation between the occupancies would be prohibited?

Happy Friday

Yes, the exception would only apply to occupancies separated by a vertical separation. In theory, a horizontal separation would pose a greater risk for fire spread from the occupancy below to the one above and thus not able to take advantage of the same relaxation in the code.

Yes, the exception would only apply to occupancies separated by a vertical separation. In theory, a horizontal separation would pose a greater risk for fire spread from the occupancy below to the one above and thus not able to take advantage of the same relaxation in the code.
Thanks, I agree.

The situation is quite interesting:

We have a dilapidated building that the fire dept invited me into for an inspection, there is a host of life safety issues that we are dealing with.

Also, there is a combination of occupancy types that is prohibited- F-2 below and 4 residential suites above.

Our planner has declared the building to be unlawfully non conforming, which is a combination of words I have not heard too often. I believe this will disallow any talk of existing non conforming.

As part of our enforcement process I have required a building code review by an architect, and my original question is in regards to the content of the building code review. The document provided by the architect is not very impressive and has several errors and omissions.