• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Continuous wall insulation always required in climate zone 6?

Phil C

I was convinced for at least residential and likely commercial wall construction continuous insulation was required by code in climate zone 6. It is if you use the prescriptive approach. However, I just ran comcheck on a building and left the continuous insulation value at zero and was able to make it pass. I spoke to a few code enforcement officers/ building inspectors and received varying information. Now I am wondering if that is not the case with a performance (rescheck/ comcheck) approach? I may have to eat my words.

I was convinced for at least residential and likely commercial wall construction continuous insulation was required by code in climate zone 6. It is if you use the prescriptive approach. However, I just ran comcheck on a building and left the continuous insulation value at zero and was able to make it pass. I spoke to a few code enforcement officers/ building inspectors and received varying information. Now I am wondering if that is not the case with a performance (rescheck/ comcheck) approach? I may have to eat my words.
IECC 2015

Rescheck can be used for residential construction 3 stories or less in height. Comcheck for all commercial projects

R402.1.5 Total UA alternative.
Where the total building thermal envelope UA, the sum of U-factor times assembly area, is less than or equal to the total UA resulting from multiplying the U-factors in Table R402.1.4 by the same assembly area as in the proposed building, the building shall be considered to be in compliance with Table R402.1.2. The UA calculation shall be performed using a method consistent with the ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals and shall include the thermal bridging effects of framing materials. In addition to UA compliance, the SHGC requirements shall be met.

REScheck is appropriate for insulation and window trade-off calculations in residential detached one- and two-family buildings and multi-family buildings three stories or less in height above grade, such as apartments, condominiums, and townhouses. REScheck works by performing a simple U-factor x Area (UA) calculation for each building assembly to determine the overall UA of a building. The UA that would result from a building conforming to the code requirements is compared against the UA for your building. If the total heat loss (represented as a UA) through the envelope of your building does not exceed the total heat loss from the same building conforming to the code, the software generates a report that declares your building is compliant with the code.

Rescheck can be used for residential construction 3 stories or less in height. Comcheck for all commercial projects

R402.1.5 Total UA alternative.
Where the total building thermal envelope UA, the sum of U-factor times assembly area, is less than or equal to the total UA resulting from multiplying the U-factors in Table R402.1.4 by the same assembly area as in the proposed building, the building shall be considered to be in compliance with Table R402.1.2. The UA calculation shall be performed using a method consistent with the ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals and shall include the thermal bridging effects of framing materials. In addition to UA compliance, the SHGC requirements shall be met.

REScheck is appropriate for insulation and window trade-off calculations in residential detached one- and two-family buildings and multi-family buildings three stories or less in height above grade, such as apartments, condominiums, and townhouses. REScheck works by performing a simple U-factor x Area (UA) calculation for each building assembly to determine the overall UA of a building. The UA that would result from a building conforming to the code requirements is compared against the UA for your building. If the total heat loss (represented as a UA) through the envelope of your building does not exceed the total heat loss from the same building conforming to the code, the software generates a report that declares your building is compliant with the code.
Thanks!