• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

control areas

rktect 1

Gold Member
Quick question for options. 2006 IBC

There is an existing type 2b building mixed use f-1/b. Unlimited area one story building. The owner wants to create a control area inside a new room. (specific for storage of flamable liquids only) The room is about 14'x14' for the storage of no more than 480 gallons of H-2/H-3 flamable liquids. He will provide the sprinkler and approved storage cabinets to allow the 480 gallons.

building is about 20,000 sq. ft. The B portion is maybe 3000 sq. ft.

This is to be built as an H-2/3 occupancy? Now mixed use & separated?

Can be built as just a control area within the F-1? Mixed use non separated?

The code section throwing me is non-separated mixed use 508.3.2.3. See the exception

But if I go to section 307.1 it allows an occupancy of H when in excess of these quantities.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like too much quantity to be exempt or a control area. Flammables are allowed as basic storage quantity of only 30 gallons. See 507.7 (2006) for allowable Group H in unlimited area buildings.

But if I go to section 307.1 it allows an occupancy of H when in excess of these quantities
If possible avoid the H occupancy. Reduce the amounts to comply with the tables. If need be build 2 control areas. just my 2 cents

The report from an outside company shows class 1a, 1b and 1c.

This should allow for table 307.1 (1) combined flammable liquids of 120 gallons (see footnotes for increases allowing 480 gallons)

So this becomes. Is this a control area/room (under 1000 sq. ft.) for the specific storage of flammable liquids or is this an H-2/3 occupancy?

mtlogcabin said:
If possible avoid the H occupancy. Reduce the amounts to comply with the tables. If need be build 2 control areas. just my 2 cents
But, didn't they already do this by being NOT IN EXCESS of the quantities listed?

mtlogcabin said:
No it requires an H occupancy classification when the quanities exceed the allowable amounts.
So the architect could decide to design it as an H but it is not required to be an H.

Not sure if you stated it correctly or if I will do any better

If you are over maq you have a choice of designing to H or you can do some other code compliant storage arrangement to bring it under the maq.