• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

convection ovens/hoods?

pwood

Platinum Member
i'm sure you all have seen plenty of these things. i am reviewing a Crescor convection oven that will go undercounter and i was told only to be used to reheat. the literature says it will cook up to 100#s of meat at a time among other things. it also says that no hood is required but check local codes for any other requirements. i am seeing this type of disclaimer more and more where they pass the buck to the bo for the hood requirement. what say ye on the convection oven situation. i ran a search in these archives but found nothing yet :mrgreen:

Re: convection ovens/hoods?

1- vote no hood

if toatly enclosed oven

And exactly how do you cook 100 pounds of meat without creating grease?

Is it the literature, or the LISTING that states that no hood is required? I believe there is a difference...

I agree with Big Mac....100#'s of meat = grease/smoke.

And also with VP, is it in the listing?

If an oven that cooks meat is not required to have a Type I Commercial Kitchen Hood then when is a Type I Hood required?

Rick

INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS:

• Check local vent hood codes for mobile Roast-N-Hold ovens.

Does say from the manufacture that it doesn't, but to check local codes. About as clear as mud from the manufacture IMHO. :?:

pwood,

In your OP, you mentioned that the ' intent ' was to reheat the meat [ and meat products ]

and that it "COULD" cook up to 100#'s of meat.

Our AHJ DID allow an electric, self contained oven to be installed without a Type 1 hood &

system, but it was NOT an undercounter type. Our application cooks slowly some ribs

for a Bar-B-Q business. It had a drip pan built into the bottom and was self contained,

hence, no smoke, and grease laden vapors escaping to the atmosphere of the food

establishment. The owner DID willingly agree to provide the literature on the self

contained unit. It cooks up to aprox. 50 lbs. and produces some very tender and

succulent ribs. Oh my!! ;)

So, there ARE some appliances out there that will cook without the Type 1 Hood

system, but I would V E R Y hesitant to approve anything under a counter. My

recommendation would be to hold the owners "feet to the fire" and require them to

provide you with the necessary amount of literature for you to review and approve.

Essentially, place the burden of proof on them / him, ...if you are able to do this.

Can cook 100# of meat = Will at some point cook 100# of meat.

How may of you buy the argument that "I know the code says this building should be designed for an occupant load of 225, but honest we will only have an opccupant load of 35 at the most.

I designed a commercial kitchen within my own church about 15 years ago. We put in a pair (stacked, freestanding) of convection ovens. At the time I found no requirements for hoods and we did not put any in. This is in a church, so they are not used daily, but in those 15 years, I've never seen a problem with smoke. Meats have been cooked in them. A pre school in the building, once a year, has a fundraiser night where they cook probably 40 - 50 Papa Murphy's pizzas. They'll cook several pizza at a time in each oven and I've never seen an issue. So all I can say, is, at least in this instance, I do not see a need for a hood on a convection oven.