• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Convenient Mart, Public ADA bathroom outside

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Although within the building, the use of the public ADA bathroom is from the outside only.

I see where the IPC allows this.

Anywhere else that would not?

2009 I codes and ANSI A117.1 2003 apply

ipc 403.6 Customer facilities. Customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities in structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization. Public toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with public toilet facilities and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 500 feet (152 m).

No the codes and standards (IBC, ANSI, ADAAG) do not say you need to access it from the interior of the building, Make sure there is a clear and compliant Path of Travel.

Just finished my comment about accessible path of travel to the bathroom.

403.3.1 in the 2009 states it can be accessible from the exterior

One major issue with an exterior entry will be the accessible POT in snow areas. If a non wheelchair user can access it, and a wheeler cannot, that is a violation.

Just one other thought, is there other restrooms in the building that are accessed from inside the building? If so from my understanding the ADA has to also access from the inside.

Moscow said:
Just one other thought, is there other restrooms in the building that are accessed from inside the building? If so from my understanding the ADA has to also access from the inside.
That depends. is it New Construction, an Alteration and is it structural impracticabile

Existing facilities do not need to meet the same standards

Ran into this several years ago;. ADA does not like going outside to a restroom if other restrooms are inside for other users. All restrooms used by the employees or public are required to be accessible. Only private toilets, single user directly connected to the user's room, can be adaptable. Outdoor malls are allowed to have access to public restrooms and the unisex restroom from the outside.