• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Convert 1 unit, of a 4-unit R-2, into B/M occupancy

Morphdesigns

Sawhorse
Working on an existing building. Current building is VB construction, R-2 apartments. 2-Story. 2 apartments on 1st floor, 2 apartments on 2nd floor. Plus basement.
our state is using 2015 IBC/IECC
Building is not sprinklered. Building age is over 100 years.

I wanted to confirm if my though process is right.

Client wants to convert 1 of the first floor apartments, facing the street, into B or M occupancy. I know that I have to confirm the gravity load on the existing floor joists, as R-2 is 40 psf, and B is 50 psf, and M is 100 psf. He plans to remove all interior walls that are not load-bearing.

In looking at IBC 508.4, I need to provide a 2-hr separation between this B/M occupancy, and the remainder 3 R-2 apartments. If I sprinklered, it would be 1-hr
Since the work area is on the first floor, I do not need to sprinkler the rest of the building, right? As IBC 903.2.8 requires any new R construction to be sprinklered.
Looking at the IEBC, the means of egress hazard goes down. Which this apartment already has 2 ways of exit.

One of the items I have a question on is accessibility. The front door is a sidewalk left, but once inside, there is a landing, and 2 steps up to get to the main floor (16" higher). Because I am doing a change of occupancy, would we need to put in a ramp, or just change this so it is 3 steps, to get under the 7"+11" rule, or since its existing, its ok?

Am I right is stating that this unit will not need to be sprinklered? If I am using separated uses?

Am I missing something else that I need to look into?

Thanks for your help

If I sprinklered, it would be 1-hr
Since the work area is on the first floor, I do not need to sprinkler the rest of the building, right?

Will let the experts answer, but

1. Normally you sprinkle through out the entire building.

2. Normally, if you do not sprinkle thorugh out the building, you are requried a two hour separation.

One of the items I have a question on is accessibility. The front door is a sidewalk left, but once inside, there is a landing, and 2 steps up to get to the main floor (16" higher). Because I am doing a change of occupancy, would we need to put in a ramp, or just change this so it is 3 steps, to get under the 7"+11" rule, or since its existing, its ok?

In my state they would need to appeal to the state not to have an accessible route to the M or spend at least 20% above the cost of the project toward it.

put in a platform lift, reasonable alternative and best practice if a ramp won't fit.