• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Converting old school to antique shop

Newtothis

Hoping there are better answers here than what I am getting from sprinkler companies and state fire Marshall. I am looking at converting an old high scool (100,000. Ft2) The initial design will be using +/-12,000 ft2 for retail space, this will be the gym and some hall way area, and a few classrooms, and the auditorium will be used for an auction house with back stage and old band room as holding area for items going up.
Later we would like to convert the old lunch room into a restaurant. The layout of the place is ideal for this. The gym is in the middle right across from the front door. Auditorium is across from Gym and cafeteria is off to the side with a different door into it. The cafeteria can be seperated by a fence wall at antique shop closed hours and reopen during business hours.

My question is will this need a sprinkler system? Looks like all the interior and exterior walls are block and they go all the way to the second floor floor. (I am thinking this would be considered a firewall. If this is the way it should work then the largest area Open area is the gym at about 8500ft2.

I know of a version of this being done about an 1.5 hours away with no issues.

I am thinking this would be considered a firewall
Definitely not a safe assumption. Firewalls require structural independence. That said, it may work as a fire resistance rated wall for purposes of a fire barrier.

My question is will this need a sprinkler system?
This may be the easier aspect to address.

2018 WV-EBC 1011.2.1 Fire Sprinkler System

Where a change in occupancy classification occurs or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code that requires an automatic fire sprinkler system to be provided based on the new occupancy in accordance with Chapter 9 of the International Building Code, such system shall be provided throughout the area where the change of occupancy occurs.

Based upon the above requirement and the described change of occupancies proposed, I see the most risk being in the restaurant. Restaurants and their associated kitchens, where OL>50, are classified as Group A-2.

2018 WV-BC [F] 903.2.1.2 Group A-2

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout stories containing Group A-2 occupancies and throughout all stories from the Group A-2 occupancy to and including the levels of exit discharge serving that occupancy where one of the following conditions exists:
  1. The fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).
  2. The fire area has an occupant load of 100 or more.
  3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies.
The other occupancies are covered as follows:

2018 WV-BC [F] 903.2.7 Group M

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout buildings containing a Group M occupancy where one of the following conditions exists:
  1. A Group M fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2).
  2. A Group M fire area is located more than three stories above grade plane.
  3. The combined area of all Group M fire areas on all floors, including any mezzanines, exceeds 24,000 square feet (2230 m2).
  4. A Group M occupancy used for the display and sale of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).

2018 WV-BC [F] 903.2.9 Group S-1

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all buildings containing a Group S-1 occupancy where one of the following conditions exists:
  1. A Group S-1 fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2).
  2. A Group S-1 fire area is located more than three stories above grade plane.
  3. The combined area of all Group S-1 fire areas on all floors, including any mezzanines, exceeds 24,000 square feet (2230 m2).
  4. A Group S-1 fire area used for the storage of commercial motor vehicles where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).
  5. A Group S-1 occupancy used for the storage of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet (232 m2).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You, I really appreciate the info. Taking this info in I would say the restaurant is out. I was told at one time each room contained by a firewall (fire rated for 1 or 2 hours burn thru time) are calculated as an individual space and is not added to other ft2. So each classroom would be +/- 100 ft2 no sprinkle needed, hallway may be the issue as is it will be one “room” not sure of its ft2. I do know the largest room (not hallway) is around 8700 ft2 which falls under the 9000ft2 threshold for class M needing a sprinkler.

Reason for asking is the building is very inexpensive to buy but a sprinkler system could run 3 times the buildng cost. Now it isn’t inexpensive any more.

Fire barriers create separate fire areas. Fire walls create separate buildings in the most basic sense. Most of the areas noted in the sections I posted are related to fire areas. So, by working with a design professional, you may be able to use existing masonry walls as fire barriers. Thus, keeping your fire areas to limited areas sufficient to comply with the noted requirements.