• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Copper Clad Aluminum Wire is Making a Comeback

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In the early 1950s, copper shortages led cable manufacturers to develop an alternative conductor made from electrical-grade 1350 aluminum. By the 1960s, aluminum building wire had become popular across the United States. However, by 1968, it was identified as a hazard due to thermal instability and galvanic corrosion when connected to older wiring devices.

As a result of these problems, a massive product recall was issued, marking a significant event in the electrical industry. Shortly after, CCA emerged as a solution and was tested for performance by Underwriters Laboratories in the late 1960s. In 1971, it was included as one of only three conductors permitted by the National Electric Code.

CCA gained widespread use in the following decade due to high copper prices. However, its popularity dwindled after the Vietnam War ended, and copper prices decreased due to diminished demand from the military. With its high manufacturing and material costs, CCA could not compete with commodity-copper conductors.

Copper prices remained low until around 2005, allowing CCA to re-emerge as a viable alternative. Today, CCA is gaining popularity again as an affordable solution for building wire.

From what I understand standard wire connectors are not listed for copper clad conductors.

Attachments

• 1677268529504.jpeg
    1677268529504.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
If I remember correctly (from the late 70s) the danger with small (12 or 14 ga.) aluminum conductors is that aluminum expands more than copper from the heat generated when carrying a current. The screw on the breaker or device would prevent expansion in one direction so they would expand out the sides into an oval, then shrink back away from the screw when they weren't carrying current. An oxide coating could form, which acted as an insulator. Eventually arcing would occur and start fires.

Larger conductors used belleville washers and a conductive paste to avoid these problems.

Larger conductors used belleville washers and a conductive paste to avoid these problems.
I was told by a sparky that I couldn't require a conductive paste, like (NO-OX-ID, electrical contact grease, corrosin preventor), it's not in the code.

Is there any truth to that?