• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Copyright Protection for Codes and Standards may get a ***** from Uncle Sam

CodeWarrior

Legislation is proceeding that would support Copyright Protection for privately developed countries codes and standards adopted into local and federal regulations.

This article discusses construction regulations though the legislation does not appear to be industry focused. Both NFPA and ANSI are quoted. Likely one or both lobbied for this.

If successful, this should increase their revenues. Joe Bhatia at ANSI already makes over $1.8 million a year, while Jim Pauley at NFPA earns $789,000 plus. More likely these guys will get big salary increases than passing on the income ***** to Customers by reducing the price of publications.

NFPA already has online viewing of their standards, but not sure what ANSI is doing.

Some jurisdictions post certain standards on their websites. Get them while you can if don't have the budget for adding the reference standards to your library. Or not adept at online viewing.

It is my understanding that currently you cannot copyright the adopted laws. Since building regulations are laws this means that once the regulations are adopted it cannot be copyrighted. The laws are owned by the public.

It is scary to think that some private entity owns the law.

Well...as we all know, everyone can write the codes, it's an open process....Except for NFPA..... that is purely industry lobbyists....And now the IECC....

Well...as we all know, everyone can write the codes, it's an open process....Except for NFPA..... that is purely industry lobbyists....And now the IECC....
Interesting since in my 36 years if involvement in the building and fire codes - NFPA, ICC (and the legacy codes), and even a UL standard - I find the balance of interests in NFPA dicuments much better than the ICC. And NFPA follows the ANSI Essential Requirements which require no more than a third of voters are from the supply side - manufacturers, vendors, and contractors combined. Considering the IRC is controlled by the homebuilders, I'll take the NFPA approach any day.

Interesting since in my 36 years if involvement in the building and fire codes - NFPA, ICC (and the legacy codes), and even a UL standard - I find the balance of interests in NFPA dicuments much better than the ICC. And NFPA follows the ANSI Essential Requirements which require no more than a third of voters are from the supply side - manufacturers, vendors, and contractors combined. Considering the IRC is controlled by the homebuilders, I'll take the NFPA approach any day.
None of them have enough code officials...They are all "supposed" to have balanced representation...It is just not the reality..

Here is what ANSI gets you:

604.10.2Size.​

The minimum area of an ambulatory accessible toilet compartment shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum in depth and a width of 35 inches (890 mm) minimum and 37 inches (940 mm) maximum.

❖ The width dimension provides for a 1 inch (25 mm) tolerance on each side of the optimum 36 inch (915 mm) width. A common mistake is to make the ambulatory stall wider, with the intent to better facilitate wheelchair access. However, the purpose of the ambulatory stall is more to serve persons with mobility impairments who may be using a walker, cane or crutches. In an ambulatory stall, both grab bars are typically used simultaneously. The 36-inch (915 mm) dimension provides an optimum spread for a person to best use the grab bars to maneuver both into and out of the stall. A wider spread would reduce the ability of someone to use the grab bars for balance and optimum leverage. It would make raising and lowering more difficult because the advantage of the use of the upper body for pulling or pushing is reduced. The 60-inch depth is consistent with the depth of the wheelchair stall.

604.9.2.1Minimum area.​

The minimum area of a wheelchair accessible toilet compartment shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum in width measured perpendicular to the side wall, and 56 inches (1420 mm) minimum in depth for wall hung water closets, and 59 inches (1500 mm) minimum in depth for floor mounted water closets measured perpendicular to the rear wall.

None of them have enough code officials...They are all "supposed" to have balanced representation...It is just not the reality..
The committees I'm on - LSC Assembly Occupancies and Fire Doors and Windows - are quite balanced. If anything on Assembly the committee AHJs are plentiful, and supply side is a little light. Together that's 5 documents.

What NFPA committees are you on where its
purely industry lobbyists
?

Here is what ANSI gets you:

604.10.2Size.​

The minimum area of an ambulatory accessible toilet compartment shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum in depth and a width of 35 inches (890 mm) minimum and 37 inches (940 mm) maximum.

❖ The width dimension provides for a 1 inch (25 mm) tolerance on each side of the optimum 36 inch (915 mm) width. A common mistake is to make the ambulatory stall wider, with the intent to better facilitate wheelchair access. However, the purpose of the ambulatory stall is more to serve persons with mobility impairments who may be using a walker, cane or crutches. In an ambulatory stall, both grab bars are typically used simultaneously. The 36-inch (915 mm) dimension provides an optimum spread for a person to best use the grab bars to maneuver both into and out of the stall. A wider spread would reduce the ability of someone to use the grab bars for balance and optimum leverage. It would make raising and lowering more difficult because the advantage of the use of the upper body for pulling or pushing is reduced. The 60-inch depth is consistent with the depth of the wheelchair stall.

604.9.2.1Minimum area.​

The minimum area of a wheelchair accessible toilet compartment shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum in width measured perpendicular to the side wall, and 56 inches (1420 mm) minimum in depth for wall hung water closets, and 59 inches (1500 mm) minimum in depth for floor mounted water closets measured perpendicular to the rear wall.
That is from ICC A117.1 I believe, a committee I'm on. Hardly can hold NFPA responsible for that. Seems like something the ICC editors should point out to the committee. (And I do believe it was fixed this cycle - not sure.)

The committees I'm on - LSC Assembly Occupancies and Fire Doors and Windows - are quite balanced. If anything on Assembly the committee AHJs are plentiful, and supply side is a little light. Together that's 5 documents.

What NFPA committees are you on where its

?
NFPA 70 has a lot of industry...