• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

cord and plug connected luminaires

bill1952

SAWHORSE
There are a lot of listed shop light fixtures that come with cord and plug. They usually have chains or keyholes for screws or similar for support. Some have receptacles built in to allow daisy chaining.

Best I can tell it is permitted if entire cord is visible outside fixture and plug, and the fixture is directly under the outlet.

Is that correct? Do you all enforce that directly under the outlet bit? What about daisy chained fixtures.

What are the manufacturers spec's, testing?

I have five 4' lights daisy chained across my shop, they are listed for eight. Daisy chained. (LED'S)

Bill,

In building and layout over 12 workshops over the last 40 years, I can tell you that I found not using hanging lights is the best way to go, but go with better 8ft lights mounted on the ceiling covering the larger area with more light.

The amount of additional cost is minimal to run with LED's.

As to the additional cost of the fixtures, used (6) 8 fts in the last space, 20 x 36 and I can't find a spot in the place I can work that doesn't have more than enough light, lights were $100.00 each aprx.

It helps if you paint the place white and keep the walls and ceiling cleaned. Dark walls and other dark elements will suck up the light. I am guessing you already know that from the theatre side of things.

I found hanging lights to get in the way when trying work with longer and taller items in the shop.

JMO - Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

In building and layout over 12 workshops over the last 40 years, I can tell you that I found not using hanging lights is the best way to go, but go with better 8ft lights mounted on the ceiling covering the larger area with more light.

The amount of additional cost is minimal to run with LED's.

As to the additional cost of the fixtures, used (6) 8 fts in the last space, 20 x 36 and I can't find a spot in the place I can work that doesn't have more than enough light, lights were $100.00 each aprx.

It helps if you paint the place white and keep the walls and ceiling cleaned. Dark walls and other dark elements will suck up the light. I am guessing you already know that from the theatre side of things.

I found hanging lights to get in the way when trying work with longer and taller items in the shop.

JMO - Tom
Good advice. First, this is unconditioned storage, not an area to work in. The fixture I linked actually can mount on two screws and key holes in fixture, so really surface, and was planning between joists, on attic flooring.

These are 4' 4400 lumen LED strips - at $7 each. $70 for 10 versus 5 of yours for $500? For a storage area.

I appreciate your reply, but looking to for more economical solution. I looked at keyless porcelain sockets and bare LED at maybe150w equivalent - maybe 2000 lumens - and more than tripple the cost. Still, may do this. A lot more EMT as well.