• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Correcting overnotched rafter.

Provide a sistered 2x (or sandwich with 2-2x) to create a built up (smaller) beam that would meet the notching requirement. The original 2x10 that extends below the sistered 2x's would not be considered as part of the built-up beam/joist.

JB26.01.jpg

Mark ... going to be a little difficult driving the top nails.
Even more difficult to find the right size hanger.

Judging by the photo, the joist laps the face of the beam about 3-4 inches. By the time you make a horizontal notch for the bearing on the hanger, you definitely less than the smallest hanger available (3.5-in for 2x4). Would have to use a face mount hanger (not a top flange) attached to blocking added between the rafters. However, if you went this route, the blocking should be nailed through the roof sheathing, which at this point, would be difficult with the roof being finished.

In the famous words of O.B. Thompson, "It's never too late to start over."

I'm guessing that right about now, the OP is sorry that he found this forum.

I have one of those. Awesome tool, can’t be beat in some situations, like joist hanger nails.

I have pushed hanger nails in with a bar in tight spots...Or put my flat bar on them and then beat the the flat bar as close as possible, not the best for the hands, but stuff gotta get done....Where is Brent when we need him....