• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

corridor continuity and elevators lobby

vero123

I am interested in, if it is possible to open elevators doors (including fire service access elevators) in this kind of lobby, which divides the corridor into 2 parts and in this case it’s required or not elevators shaft enclosure to be pressurized.

https://ibb.co/noihbL

The problem is the doors swinging out into the corridors interfere with getting from one corridor to the other if a stairway is blocked. The dead-end at the upper left corridor looks too long.

The problem is the doors swinging out into the corridors interfere with getting from one corridor to the other if a stairway is blocked. The dead-end at the upper left corridor looks too long.
Doors need only swing in the direction of egress travel if the occupant load they serve is greater than 50, which they might, based on the partial string of metric dimensions shown.

The dead end in a Group R-2 or R-1 is permitted to be 50 feet when sprinklered. I assume this is a high-rise building, since it shows two fire service access elevators, so it must be sprinklered. Based on the dimensions shown, the dead end corridors should be no more than 35 feet, which is acceptable.

Hold on guys and gals. Did you check the image of the plans? It's in metric which isn't customary for building plans in the United States. Lets hold off giving further advice until we clarify the project location because if the codes are in some other country like Georgia (not the state), we are in a whole different kind of issue.

I'm looking to see what the building codes are in Georgia (not the U.S. State but the country). It might be the IBC but lets be sure we check out this before giving advice that might not be appropriate.

Last edited: