• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Costs associated with adopting the 2009 IRC versus the 2006

Oldman

I hate these kinds of assignments. :!:

I have been asked to do some kind of general work up on how much or less per sq ft it will cost to build a single family home to the 2009 IRC and compared it to the 2006 in TX. I am not to include the fire sprinkler requirement at this time.

Generally would the cost increase or decrease? Has any one already done this type of report?

Re: Costs associated with adopting the 2009 IRC versus the 2006

Why not ask your local HBA?

Oldman,

Agree with Brudgers; contact the State Homebuilder's association. The should have the comparison you need;

http://www.texasbuilders.org/#bf_miniCal_84

If not contact the NAHB (National Association of Home Builders);

http://www.nahb.org/

Be sure to stipulate that the information you need is "without residential fire sprinklers".

Hope this helps,

Uncle Bob

material costs haven't changed significantly. NAHB tracks housing costs, and that's where I'd start. Residential sprinklers will add about $3/sf.

The building valuation data charts from the ICC may help if you kept previous charts? There was a drop in cost per foot from Jan. 09 to Aug. 09.

In addition to the sprinkler provisions, you should look at the electrical provisions, which in this area seem to result in a 2K to 3K additional cost, and the testing provisions of the energy requirements which may add a few hundred.

Pcinspector1 said:
The building valuation data charts from the ICC may help if you kept previous charts? There was a drop in cost per foot from Jan. 09 to Aug. 09.
Time series costs per square foot primarily reflect changes in the construction market not the code...unless there is specific control for code cycle effects.

I believe that the 08 Nec requirements will be the big hit!

Still looking at the strapping issue???

Sprinklers here for SFR about 1.50 per sf. Some a little higher and some under.

The energy and testing not sure as of yet!