• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Counter space adjacent to cooking surface

pmarx

Bronze Member
I could have sworn there was a requirement to have a minimum length of counter space adjacent to a cooking surface (range, cooktop, etc.) but I don’t know where that might have been. Of course it would be good practice to do so anyway but the design I’ve inherited is the ten pounds of caca in a five pound bag scenario. The dwelling units are R-2.Thanks.

Not required.

Fair housing guidelines requires a clear floor space of 48" for a parallel approach must be centered on fixture

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Olden Days the requirements you may remember were from the HUD Minimum property Standards and everything was measured!

spaces beside sinks, by refrigerators, by ranges, inches of upper and lower cabinets and they were based on number of bedrooms

2, 3,4 having different dimensions - those went away whe the ICC actually supplanted the highly sensible MPS rules,

I used the old HUD standards for years (too many) those rules are now governed by common sense; so good luck with that?

Architect1281 said:
In the Olden Days the requirements you may remember were from the HUD Minimum property Standards and everything was measured!spaces beside sinks, by refrigerators, by ranges, inches of upper and lower cabinets and they were based on number of bedrooms

2, 3,4 having different dimensions - those went away whe the ICC actually supplanted the highly sensible MPS rules,

I used the old HUD standards for years (too many) those rules are now governed by common sense; so good luck with that?
I don't know?

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh/4910.1

There isn't a requirement, but if there is a countertop space and it's more than 12" wide, a receptacle is required (that gets forgotten alot).