• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Counterfeit Codes

bill1952

SAWHORSE
I'm guessing I'm not the only one to get an email from ICC about counterfeit codes - hardcopies of ICC codes. Just sort of surprised there's enough profit in it to make it worth while. I also wonder who is buying them. Designers? Code departments?

I'm a long-time professional member of the ICC (as an architect, in addition to my membership as a building official through my work). I have not received any such e-mail either to me as a professional member or at work.

The whole email is to large but here is text. pm me email address and I'll forward.

Counterfeit Code Books

The International Code Council recently uncovered a counterfeit operation producing and distributing unauthorized ICC code books within the United States.

This threatens the integrity of building codes and standards, and we’ve taken steps to protect public safety and retain the public’s confidence in the Code Council as the trusted source of model codes and standards.

The Code Council is pursuing legal actions, including a number of lawsuits in which we seek preliminary injunctions to halt the distribution of counterfeit books.

Temporary restraining orders have already been secured to stop the illegal sale of counterfeit code books. It is critical for the Code Council to pursue action against violators to control the quality of our products so that we can ensure that buildings remain as safe as possible.

If you are concerned that a code book may be counterfeit, it can only be guaranteed as a genuine article if purchased directly from the Code Council or one of our authorized resellers. We also invite you to help us educate others about the importance of purchasing authentic publications directly from the Code Council and/or its resellers.

Customers can contact Cesar Monteiro, Director of Business and Product Development for the Code Council, at cmonteiro@iccsafe.org for help finding an authorized reseller.

This collective effort is vital in maintaining the trust and integrity foundational to our shared commitment to building safety and compliance.

Thank you for your cooperation and continued support in these efforts. Together, we can overcome this challenge and continue to ensure the highest standards of safety and integrity in building practices.

We are always so far in years behind in the codes I always buy used code books. Can't be sure if they are counterfeit but used ones are so much cheaper. I found them more useful years ago when I was taking tests because they already had marks in them and highline sections from previous owners who were studying them.
There are always a lot of brand-new code books in eBay that are probably counterfeit because they are shipped from other countries and have multiple books to sell. I always get used from a seller that is only selling one book, does not sell much, and is shipped from USA because less change that it is counterfeit.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I'm not the only one to get an email from ICC about counterfeit codes - hardcopies of ICC codes. Just sort of surprised there's enough profit in it to make it worth while. I also wonder who is buying them. Designers? Code departments?
Yep.

I just received the notice from the ICC about counterfeit codes this morning.

We need to find these counterfeiters and throw the book at em!

Mine are real 2021 1st editions. I had to download all the errata and then go through the code books to add or correct the massive amount of inaccuracies.

They would have to be real with that much red marks in them now.

Are we heading towards paperless codes?

Wonder what percentage of AHJ's and RDP's are using the ICC subscriptions?

Everyone I know (on the RDP side of things) uses UpCodes online, which does not require a subscription.
I purchased a hard copy of volume 1 of the 2022 CBC, just because I sometimes prefer to flip through a physical copy than to click through text on a screen. I do not subscribe.
I also keep a hard copy of all my old code books, so that when I do alterations and remodels I know what was originally approved.

We have city ordinances that require a copy of the codes be made available, I could check with the state to see if that can be digital, if it can then we would have to provide a computer in the lobby cuz were protected by glass and walls so that a crazy dude doesn't cause havoc at city hall!

Are we heading towards paperless codes?

Wonder what percentage of AHJ's and RDP's are using the ICC subscriptions?

We use the printed books in our office. Some of the inspectors have subscribed to UpCodes in order to have access to the codes on their tablets on site. Nobody I know likes or uses the ICC digital codes.

The downside to UpCodes is that it's not always correct (I have found errors, and notified them of them -- and they haven't fixed them). The way our state adopts the code, ONLY the printed version is legally binding because the state legislature formally votes on the adoption of any new codes. This means that in a legally critical situation, using UpCodes or the ICC digital codes isn't a safe haven. We have to use the actual, printed books when it counts.

In fact, several code cycles back, I wrote a report and my boss questioned something I wrote. We finally determined that I had the third printing of that code book, and he had the first printing. The third printing had corrected some errata -- one of which affected the section I was citing. The problem was, the legislature had adopted -- by law -- the first printing (errata and all). To resolve it legally and factually, we had to get the state to issue a formal interpretation that "interpreted" the official first printing to mean what the third printing said it was supposed to mean all along.

I have an ICC membership and that comes with a subscription. Not the greatest interface but it has improved a lot since it began. I'm pleased I can see all the documents - last several editions of each - anywhere. Mostly on my phone.

We have city ordinances that require a copy of the codes be made available, I could check with the state to see if that can be digital, if it can then we would have to provide a computer in the lobby cuz were protected by glass and walls so that a crazy dude doesn't cause havoc at city hall!

We have that. Our Building Department, Engineering Department, and Planning and Zoning Department each have a counter with a glass window facing the corridor. Clients are not allowed into the offices themselves. About three years ago, the IT department set up a table with a small PC and monitor on a table in an alcove off the main corridor. This is available for the public to use for researching assessor's card data and for accessing the on-line permitting system (through a portal called City Squared).

I worked for a municipality that their ordinance was written that one set of code books goes to the city clerks office, one set to the BO, one set to the Inspector and one set to the local library. When I delivered the library set, they library ladies had know idea what was going on and said "theirs some code books in aisle whatever!"

That shelf had been depleted, that was where contractors would go to get their free code copy, tucked under their arm and out the door they went. There was five different code years and not one complete set.

Well the city's thought process was in the right place.