• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Covering a Window

Kendra

Our client has a window (see attachment) that is triangular above a rectangular window. She doesn't want any light, but drapery won't really work with this window. She wants to cover the lofted portion of the ceiling with drywall, therefore blocking the light from the triangle window. I worry about potential moisture issues in the future, but my co-worker suggested a vented hatch that could provide air circulation and also be removed to inspect the window. Does anyone have suggestions?

Attachments

• Window.JPG
    Window.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 8
Leave everything in place as-is and use a solid opaque window film on the interior. Cheapest, easiest remedy.
I work for an interior designer and I know she won't like the look of that. This client is willing to pay for a good looking solution I think.

You can get a lot of different types of film .. frosted, stained glass-look, etc. If the client is so concerned about not having the light, why not remove the window entirely and then recapture the dead space in the attic? If she's concerned about the amount of light, there are other alternatives than what is being proposed (and could lead to other nasty problems down the road).

Play up the uniqueness of the area!

Building on the vented hatch idea … what about a large return air grill. Or even regular size grill. Install it so the louvers face the window, it would be easy to remove and put an iphone up there for pictures.

Building on the vented hatch idea … what about a large return air grill. Or even regular size grill. Install it so the louvers face the window, it would be easy to remove and put an iphone up there for pictures.
That is kind of what we were thinking. Thank you!