• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CPC changes UPC only

ICE

Oh Well
The current code says that the immediate adjoining space of a shower stall that does not have a threshold shall be considered a wet location. That has changed to include the entire floor of the room that the shower stall is located in. An "immediate adjoining space" is hard to pin down and the entire floor takes the guess work out of it.

20221017_161011.jpg

The current code says that the immediate adjoining space of a shower stall that does not have a threshold shall be considered a wet location. That has changed to include the entire floor of the room that the shower stall is located in. An "immediate adjoining space" is hard to pin down and the entire floor takes the guess work out of it.

View attachment 9660
I can see that conflicting with some of the ADA requirements since you are Req to have a curbless entry to a shower to meet the requirements. That means that every ADA accessible bathroom is now going to be considered a wet space?

That means that every ADA accessible bathroom is now going to be considered a wet space?
That works for me. The floor is the only component that is a wet location. As it stands now there is always the question of waterproofing the floor. Should the shower pan extend out and how far? How much of the floor should slope to the drain? This code change provides clarity in that the entire floor has to be water tight and all of it should slope to the drain.

There was a time when the only residential showers without a threshold were in cases of special needs. I recall several that were built for people that were injured and left paralyzed. Then a few years back the curb-less showers became a thing. Lots of people wanted and built them. Well there's a trade off for the vanity bathrooms. You can have that shower at a cost.

Does that change now trigger a requirement for additional grab bars in the room? Certain types of slip resistant flooring?

I see more safety glazing.....as ICE says only the "floor space" is in play, I am not sure that WR receptacles and bubble covers and wet location light fixtures are in play, but we will see.....

Wow, very sorry there was a misunderstanding. I have been working in places where 95% of the businesses on multi-level buildings have required the entire bathroom to be what amounts to a full and complete shower room, with or without a shower. What I was referencing, and still am, is the protection has been warranted for much longer than the code required. Yes, now it specifically states "Where there is a shower without a threshold" as compared to the wording of an immediate adjoining space". Most people get this, but there were a few jurisdictions taking liberties about how far to consider what was a wet location. Certainly nothing about semantics, just a clarification for knuckleheads who over legislate the space.