• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Crawlspace Firedoor Requirement - California

jpwilson

We want to install a crawlspace entrance through the garage. Meaning, we'll cut through foundation and cut the proper sized hole to get underneath the house for electrical repairs, water repairs, etc. The location of the entrance will be between the garage and the dining room.

Does the crawlspace door need to be:
A fire RATED door? (20 minute fire rating)
A fire PROOF door?
Automatic closing & latching?

Anything else?
Thanks!!

I believe it will need to be fire rated just like the wall between the garage and the house is. Unless you have local provisions that would be the requirement.

Wouldn't a layer of 1/2" gwb - like the wall between garage and house - comply? Or 1 3/8" solid wood door should do it. Per IRC. I don't know if this was modified in CA.

There is no mention of a crawlspace opening from a garage to a crawlspace in the residential or building codes. My assumption is that there is a stem wall of sufficient height to create a crawl hole. Providing advice about a fire separation while ignoring the structural ramifications of removing a portion of said stem wall is Shirley avoiding Prudence. I, being prudent, surely wish to avoid that.

In as much as there is no code to guide you, perhaps the closest you'll get is found here:

R302.5.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with self-closing or automatic-closing and self-latching device.

406.3.2.1 Dwelling unit separation. The private garage shall be separated from the dwelling unit and its attic area by means of gypsum board, not less than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness, applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than a 5/8- inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent and 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to structures supporting the separation from habitable rooms above the garage. Door openings between a private garage and the dwelling unit shall be equipped with either solid wood doors or solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (34.9 mm) in thickness, or doors in compliance with Section 716.2.2.1 with a fire protection rating of not less than 20 minutes. Doors shall be self-closing and self-latching.