• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

crawlspace minimum height

mcooper

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how close I can get a steel floor frame to the ground in a residential crawlspace. Section 408 has minimum dimensions for an access hatch, but I can't see anywhere that there's a requirement for clearance after that. Since it's all steel the requirements of Section 304.1 wouldn't apply.
Other things to note: there will be no mechanical or electrical run there, and really no source of ignition. The insulation at the floor is mineral wool.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks, just at the area around the cleanout or generally? And do you know the code section?