• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cubical Walls

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
Hi Folks,

I'm doing a project and have been hearing all sorts of requirements with respect to the height of partial walls. I have previously done several similar projects with the admonition that as long as I kept the walls 24" below the plane of the ceiling they would not affect the sprinkler layout. Now I'm hearing that any wall higher than 60" defines a room and will require sprinklers be positioned as if the walls went full height.

Any thoughts on this? Could you point me toward the appropriate code sections?

TIA

Bill

105.2 (13)

13. Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.

Section 8.5 of NFPA 13, 2010 or 8.5 through 8.6 of the 2002 edition to give an understanding of why sprinklers would need to be on both sides of a partition wall not extending to the ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
FM William Burns said:
Section 8.5 of NFPA 13, 2010 or 8.5 through 8.6 of the 2002 edition to give an understanding of why sprinklers would need to be on both sides of a partition wall not extending to the ceiling.
Hi FMWB,

I can well imagine that partial walls would affect the coverage of a fire sprinkler system. Unfortunately I do not have access to NFPA13. What I'm hoping to learn is at what height are partial walls addressed by NFPA and/or the IBC.

Thanks

Bill

Sounds like you're reminiscing on the legacy hallway provision of '97 UBC Section 1004.3.3.3 that stated 6-foot partitions were not considered to form a hallway. This may have helped with dead-end evaluations in the UBC. However, the common path of travel provisions introduced in the IBC should be applicable regardless of wall height for occupants navigating their way out of the cubicle maze.

from nfpa 13 2007

best cut and paste I can do

8.6.5.2.2 Suspended or Floor-Mounted Vertical Obstructions. The distance from sprinklers to privacy curtains, freestanding partitions, room dividers, and similar obstructions in light hazard occupancies shall be in accordance with Table 8.6.5.2.2 and Figure 8.6.5.2.2.

Table 8.6.5.2.2 Suspended or Floor-Mounted Obstructions in Light Hazard Occupancies Only (SSU/SSP)

Horizontal Distance (A) Minimum Vertical Distance Below Deflector (in.) (B)

6 in. or less 3

More than 6 in. to 9 in. 4

More than 9 in. to 12 in. 6

More than 12 in. to 15 in. 8

More than 15 in. to 18 in. 9½

More than 18 in to 24 in. 12½

More than 24 in. to 30 in. 15½

More than 30 in. 18

For SI units, 1 in. = 25.4 mm.

Note: For (A) and (B), refer to Figure 8.6.5.2.2.