• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Custom Ironwork

kyhowey

Silver Member
Sure, it is pretty. Yes, I understand it was expensive. I believe you when you say it's custom made. But I wouldn't say that it's code compliant. I can pass 5-6" spheres through some holes.

View attachment 1744

View attachment 1745

View attachment 1744

View attachment 1745

/monthly_2012_12/1213121103a.jpg.e24689226f145d82438685db0814043b.jpg

/monthly_2012_12/1213121104a.jpg.0bf344f88dd92da3d9315cabb2cc0d7b.jpg

kyhowey said:
Sure, it is pretty. Yes, I understand it was expensive. I believe you when you say it's custom made. But I wouldn't say that it's code compliant. I can pass 5-6" spheres through some holes. View attachment 1508View attachment 1509
Not code compliant but, I will agree with tmurray and say maybe tempered glass on one side.

You state custom made. Was it done by a smithy or a commercial shop? Just curious, I love custom made wrought iron pieces.

Sue

That's what I told him to do. Plexiglass or tempered glass permanently attached. We have a commercial shop called "John Mills Ornamental Iron Shop". They do just about all the custom work around here.

Any glass installed over that is going to be a cleaning nightmare! Any type glass (i.e. = barrier)

only has to stay on long enough to to get the C. of O., after that it will come off! :D

The female of the house ain't going to have no glass installed over that purdy, decorative,

expensive accoutrement.

Remember now, it ain't about safety and the passing of spheres, ..it's about looks!

Something will be there on my final inspection and documented. Whether it stays on after that, I can't control. If I was the homeowner, I would make the ironwork company make another one that is code compliant. They should know the code. When they're designing this guard on the CAD system, they should learn how to draw a 4" circle as well.