• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Damper Testing

Francis Vineyard

IBC does not require damper testing, it is NFPA 90A?

And does anyone have any good sites to see how different heads work in action?

The Fire Marshal and I have been having a great time cross training and helping each other out with inspections.

from nfpa 90A 2002

Chapter 5 Integration of a Ventilation and Air-Conditioning System(s) with Building Construction

5.4.7 Maintenance. At least every 4 years, the following maintenance shall be performed:

(1) Fusible links (where applicable) shall be removed.

(2) All dampers shall be operated to verify that they close fully.

(3) The latch, if provided, shall be checked.

(4) Moving parts shall be lubricated as necessary.

B.2 Fire Dampers, Smoke Dampers, and Ceiling Dampers.

B.2.1 Each damper should be examined every 2 years to ensure that it is not rusted or blocked, giving attention to hinges and other moving parts. It is recommended that dampers operate with normal system airflow to ensure that they close and are not held open by the airstream. Care should be exercised to ensure that such tests are performed safely and do not cause system damage.

B.2.2 Refer to NFPA 92A, Recommended Practice for Smoke-Control Systems, for maintenance of smoke and combination fire/smoke dampers for each damper installed as part of a smoke control system.

may have changed since 2002

I'm curious who requires this test with NFPA 90A?

Once in a while contractors asked if I want to have the dampers tested, this would be a "destructive" test where the fuse is cut.

cda thanks for the links to sprinklers. Doing some of these inspections with sprinklers in open web ceiling/floor assemblies having obstructions from ducts and insulation moved and would be helpful to see how well this works.

well on first install they should be tested

then I forgot with a fusiable link how often if ever they have to be tested

but if you want them tested cutting a fusiable link is not much, more the labor to do it and replace it.

also you can get a few diferent sprinkler heads and attach them to a water source and watch them spray away

I'm curious who requires this test with NFPA 90A?
CMS and The Joint Commission in the Healthcare facilities they have jurisdiction over. And they are pretty serious about it, although they allow a 6 year cycle.