• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Daycare Restroom Accessibility Compliance

nsuchy

Working in MN, we have one child restroom accessed directly from each preschool/toddler room (2 toilets/2 sinks in each restroom). The restrooms are not currently ADA compliant. My coworker was saying that a long time ago he contacted the state, and they informed him that as long as the staff are assisting the children, a restroom is not required to be compliant.

If anyone has any clue as to where I can find a section of code or statute backing this up, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

The ADA Standards do not exempt restrooms designed for children's use, but they do include provisions for toilet compartments and lavatories for children's use.

The exception to Section 604.1 of the ADA Standards allows water closets and toilet compartments to comply with the special provisions of Section 604.9. Section 606.2 provides some exceptions for children for lavatories.