• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

DCA-6 deck guide

bptp32

Bronze Member
Is anyone using the DCA-6 or DCA-9 prescriptive guide for deck construction? I have heard from a national deck builder that the prescriptive deck design guide is not being enforced anywhere in the US. We enforce the IRC of NYS 2007 version and the State is working on an update for a 2011 version. Thanks

that the prescriptive deck design guide is not being enforced anywhere in the US.
It is just a "guide" based on the IRC and good industry practice. Unless it has been specifically adopted by the AHJ they can not require a contractor to follow it. The AHJ can accept it as the basis for the decks design.

Where applicable, provisions and details contained in this document are based on the International Residential Code (IRC) [bracketed text references applicable sections of the IRC]. Prescriptive construction methods recommended meet or exceed minimum requirements of the IRC. Provisions that are not found in the IRC are recommended as good industry practice. Where differences exist between provisions of this document and the IRC, provisions of the IRC shall apply. This document is not intended to preclude the use of other construction methods or materials. All construction and materials must be approved by the authority having jurisdiction. Every effort has been made to reflect the language and intent of the IRC. However, no assurance can be given that designs and construction made in accordance with this document meet the requirements of any particular jurisdiction.

Follow it.. you'll get a good deck... I've recommended people getting it (usually after I've failed a deck).

None of the span tables in the IRC are for decks which are in wet locations. The DCA6 is certainly the way to go. I refer all deck installations to this free, online manual.

We provide a copy of the manual or a link to the online version to homeowners wishing to do their own work. We do not have it officially adopted, but hopefully that will change if we ever adopt the 09.

decks can be so critical (when the owner wants to build them).. people can get hurt (especially when zoning regulations are involved.. which is when we see cantilevered decks).. where do people congregate (at the rail)... what does that do to the connection to the building (increase the lever action/torque on the bolts).. it's not rocket science.