• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dead End Corridor Lengths

George McGerd

Bronze Member
There is a provision in the IBC (2012) code which allows you to exceed the maximum prescribed length of a dead end corridor by widening the corridor: "A dead end corridor shall not be limited in length where the length of the dead end corridor is less than 2.5 times the least width of the dead end corridor" [1018.4, exception 3]. Is anyone aware of a similar provision in the NFPA 101 LSC (2012 edition)? I am looking at an area with an Assembly occupancy, so otherwise I will be limited to a maximum length of 20'. Thanks

I guess you have looked at the specific occupancy on 101, for allowable distance

7.5.1.5* Exit access shall be arranged so that there are no dead ends in corridors, unless permitted by, and limited to the lengths specified in, Chapters 11 through 43.