• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dead End Corridor

LGreene

If I have a dead-end corridor that is longer than the allowable length (for example, the maximum allowed is 20’ and my corridor is 26’), and at the end of the corridor I have a door with a lock that unlocks upon fire alarm to allow egress through the door, would this still be considered a dead-end corridor?

- Lori

Re: Dead End Corridor

If there is a door at the end of the corridor that leads to an exit, it's not a dead end.

Typically, it cannot be locked against opening in the direction of egress under ordinary circumstances.

The normal solution is for opening the door to trigger the alarm, rather than requiring alarm activation to unlock the door.

Re: Dead End Corridor

if it is a true dead end, than NO the door cannot be locked in direction of egress.

the question is do you really have a dead end???

in the area the door is are two exits needed?

Or is this a short corridor off a main corridor that requires two exits??

without a diagram, dimensions, and billions and billions of other info it is hard to say.