• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dead End Corridors

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The exhibit below illustrates examples of two common types of dead-end corridors. In moving toward exits, occupants from building spaces other than the rooms served by the dead-end portion of the corridor could mistakenly travel into the dead end. Similarly, any occupant of the floor might mistakenly travel into the dead end created by the elevator lobby, which is connected to the corridor so as not to be discerned by the occupants as being anything other than a corridor. Neither of the dead-end corridor pockets leads to an exit.

Do you agree?

Does this coincide with the IBC?

1693943016477.png

IBC 1020.5 Dead Ends

Where more than one exit or exit access doorway is required, the exit access shall be arranged such that dead-end corridors do not exceed 20 feet (6096 mm) in length.
Exceptions:

1. In Group I-3, Condition 2, 3 or 4, occupancies, the dead end in a corridor shall not exceed 50 feet (15 240 mm).
  2. In occupancies in Groups B, E, F, I-1, M, R-1, R-2, S and U, where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, the length of the dead-end corridors shall not exceed 50 feet (15 240 mm).
  3. A dead-end corridor shall not be limited in length where the length of the dead-end corridor is less than 2.5 times the least width of the dead-end corridor.
  4. In Group I-2, Condition 2 occupancies, the length of dead-end corridors that do not serve patient rooms or patient treatment spaces shall not exceed 30 feet (9144 mm).
From what has been provided, it is difficult to assess if an exception may apply or if the elevator corridor is less than 20-ft, but generally it does appear that there are two dead end corridors that would be prohibited under IBC Section 1020.5.

Moving on towards speculation... given the floor layout, this is most likely a Group R-1 or R-2 (hotel or apartment). If that is the case, then if it should be sprinklered. Application of Exception #2 would thus allow a 50-ft dead end corridor condition, which likely resolves the elevator lobby area.

Until the corridor is filled with smoke and visibility is zero. Low-level exit signs (1013.2) may help, but...
I get it, and understand it (and kind of just being devils advocate)...but when it is full of smoke are you just checking every door? Less doors seems like a better idea than less feet....Kind of like wondering how the blind people find the braille exit signs...