• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dead Ends - not in a corridor

cheely

Section 1017 CORRIDORS IBC 2006 has requirements for dead ends, and 1017.3 specifically references "dead ends in corridors". Nowhere else do I find references to dead ends in exits, aisles or other. Am I to assume that if a building meets requirements for common path of egress and travel distance, and the exit is not in a corridor, that code is met? Specifically, I am dealing with a storage occupancy with aisles between racks that, as designed, have "dead ends" of up to 40 ft. It makes no sense to meet the 20 ft. limit shown in 1017, but 100 ft. (common path limit per 1014.3 exception 1: sprinklered) seems like a very long way.

Welcome to the board! The code also has the 2.5 times the width to establish dead end conditions. I would also apply the common path of travel allowance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the code commentary? In the 2006 code commentary, figure 1017.3(1) shows an area for storage racking with dead ends called out at 20 feet or less.

CORRIDOR. An enclosed exit access component that defines and provides a path of egress travel to an exit .

The racks create an "enclosed" defined path of egress travel so I would be concerned with the dead end issue.

dead end only applies if you need two ways out, and the provision is found in the corridor section, and not in the rest of the code

so for rack storage, unles you cannot meet travel distance, should not apply, and if you cannot meet travel distance, then looks like you would have to have an opening somewhere.