• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Debate with AHJ about omission of sprinklers

makaylaedmonson

GREENHORN
We are installing a fire sprinkler system in a 13R occupancy with V-A construction. This is our second apartment complex this year and we had to appeal the AHJ's decision. They tried to require us to sprinkle the breezeway in both projects because they claimed they were open-ended corridors. They are not open-ended corridors; they are exterior and open to the outside air. We won the first appeal permitting us to omit sprinklers in the breezeway with 1-hour fire-resistance-rated walls and doors. For this second one, we have won our appeal permitting us to omit sprinklers with 1-hour fire-resistance-rated walls and doors. Well, the second complex does not have 1-hour rated doors, they are 20-minute doors. The AHJ informed us that with sprinkler protection in the "open-ended corridor" (breezeway is the correct term, but this is how they refer to the area), the IBC allows a reduction from 1-hour doors to 20-minute doors. I have yet to find anywhere that allows any 20-minute doors. The AHJ adds Table 716.1 (2) and Table 1020.2 and they contradict each other as table 1020.2 states for R occupancy, without a sprinkler system, a "corridor" is not permitted, and with a sprinkler system is states the fire-resistance rating in hours is 0.5c/1d. The he adds the 716.1 (2) which I do not think even applies to this situation. Our office has been studying this for months and I am still not understanding where they are getting the reduction of resistance.