• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck height.

genius

Using the Simpson deck builder software, it says my deck must be no taller than 6'4" above ground. No matter what I do I can't get to go higher. I need it 7'. Can I use taller piers and measure from the top of the pier instead of the ground?

6X6.
That guide is helpful.

POST REQUIREMENTS
"All deck post sizes shall be 6x6 (nominal) or larger, and
the maximum height shall be in accordance with Table 4
and measured from grade or top of foundation,
whichever is highest, to the underside of the beam."
By foundation I assume they mean piers. I've never seen a limit to the height of the piers.
Sorry, handy homeowner.

Here is a easy to use guide, will reflect what is in the AWC document has, just simplified.

Attachments

• 2021 Deck Building Guide.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Not an area of code I usually study, but seems though I read the 2024 IRC requires more than just ledgers and wood closer than 6" to ground to be decay resistant. Is that correct? I wonder when theses AWC guides will be updated.

Lots of folks around here (Canada) tell me that they can get away with 4x4 posts until one of four feet or six feet or some such. I guess there's American Codes that have language to that effect?
Our codes say 6x6 period. I am thinking some of our DIY and Chuck with a Truck builders watch 'murican TV shows ....

That’s a nice guide. I have a friend in montgomery county md (DC suburb) and the county has adopted the awc guide almost verbatim.

Colorado Chapter has many guides available for our jurisdiction, they eventually get translated into spanish also.