• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck Lateral load video

fatboy

Administrator
I hope Glenn doesn't mind that I posted this here;

Hello my Colorado Chapter!

You guessed it… this is about decks, but please don’t stop reading just for its lack of glamour! Ha, ha! As you guys may know, I live, eat and breath deck code, and while I do assist an industry association, The North American Deck and Railing Association, my work comes FIRST as a code administrator. I personally and professionally believe in all the work I do for the decking industry.

There are a number of proposals that I am involved with, but there is one related to the deck lateral load anchor that has unnecessarily rocked the decking industry. (2012: Figure R507.2.3). AFTER the first hearings, testing results from work performed by Washington State University were published. It’s very, very eye-opening. To make this easy, I have put together a 13 minute video that explains the debacle of the lateral load anchor from its start to hopefully its finish in the 2015 IRC.

Please take 13 minutes to watch this video. Even if you aren’t involved in code change this round, please watch this video. If you appreciate my efforts to provide this information to the construction industry, PLEASE SHARE THE VIDEO.

Thank you. I am very eager to answer any of your questions and to listen to your feedback and comments.

Well done Glenn, well thought out and presented, I hope your proposal succeeds in Atlantic City!

Well done. I too hope your proposal is approved.

I am a voting member, unable to attend the hearings due to time and budget constraints. It's reassuring to know there are like-minded individuals leading the cause.

mj

If you are of like minds, please pass this along to others in your network. In conversation with Glenn, he feels that he may be up against the wall on this, and will need all the help he can get in A.C., in testimony and votes. So, please pass it along.

fatboy, Clearly Glenn won't mind, he encourages the viewer to share with Code Industry Professionals. Personally I was impressed (to the point of laughing out loud about the load tests toward the end and the folly of the 'Simpson solution'). I have already shared the link with the rest of the trainers I work with. And it is nice to (finally) see some science applied to the theory. Bravo!