• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck ledger connection without a rim joist.

steveray

Sawhorse
There is a line there somewhere Glenn and we currently all draw it for ourselves....I am not going to make my customers get an engineer for an above ground pool deck, and the deck at the house should not be much different....Could I get to that point, yes, but not starting there...

SDS

it's a shame they didn't design those floor trusses with a shorter outer end-vertical and change that 2x4 lateral brace to an engineered rim board that the deck ledger could be attached to...I bet the mfg can provide a repair sheet to do it. Just need an engineer to size the rim board.

- Captain Obvious

e hilton

Bronze Member
They could have, if they had been asked. The builder wanted the least expensive solution for the house framing, didn’t consider the future deck. Or ... we always do it that way.

Glenn

Corporate Supporter
Staff member
There is a line there somewhere Glenn and we currently all draw it for ourselves....I am not going to make my customers get an engineer for an above ground pool deck, and the deck at the house should not be much different....Could I get to that point, yes, but not starting there...
I'm definitely not advocating for engineers on every deck. It's why I work so hard to create standardized deck codes in the IRC. However, after over 20 years in the deck industry, from building to inspecting to making code to teaching, I can tell you a lot of building authorities, contractors and designers are drawing that line blindly and without any understanding. Thus... my webinar tomorrow... Understanding. Understanding that decks aren't as simple as we've been treating them for all time.

In this thread, many are advocating for engineering just to attach to the floor trusses. I on the other hand advocate for using the information from the industry association.