• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

deck ledger connection

Re: deck ledger connection

Barlovan - Interesting article, fairly well written.

The one point I took issue with was... "Embedding the outer support posts in concrete piers might provide sufficient lateral resistance for lower decks." The problem I have is that the PT lumber which is acceptable for embeddment is not approved for 'above-grade' applications, generally considered 18" or more above grade. Unless you have a very low deck, this could prove to be problematic.

I alos feel it will complicate repalcement of the posts when the time comes, but that's not really a 'code' issue, just a personal opinion.

DECK LEDGER CONNECTION???

Not really being critical; just expected at least on post on "deck ledger connections".

Great discussion on treated wood; but, might prevent confusion; for someone searching for a discussion on "deck ledger connections"; if the the Subject box was changed to "Treated Wood Use".

Uncle Bob

Maybe a moderator can separate posts and place them in a new post about PT wood eliminating the thread drift started by that New Yorker Drobish! :twisted:

It's a 'y' (Drobysh)not an 'i'... Darn Pennsyltucky rednecks! Does explain your spelling in general though! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, it's my fault we went off on a tangent... but it was a GOOD tangent, wasn't it? :D