• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades

Deck posts?

Yankee

brudgers said:
What code provision do you cite?
I site "submit to me engineering that indicates that I can approve 4x4's as being compliant in this installation"

DRP

Gold Member
Gut reaction, you can check it yourself or have the client retain an engineer to show that if they are spaced <8' apart on this deck the posts are at less than 50% capacity, slenderness accounted for. I'm pretty sure this is not one for "accepted engineering" to fail. There seems to be a great deal of empirical know how saying this is a bad idea, and I fully agree, I've had 6x6's twist 45 degrees in that kind of span. Is the grading up to accepted engineering or what is being missed?