• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Delayed Egress vs. Controlled Egress

LGreene

Hello All! I know - it has been a while since I've visited due to a change in my job and limited time (I'm sure some of you can relate!). But I miss this forum and all of the great interaction and advice, so I'm making it a priority to visit at least daily. For starters, I wanted to make sure that any of you who work with health care facilities know the difference between delayed egress (typically a 15-second delay) and controlled egress (locked until emergency egress is required). I wrote an article comparing the requirements for each, and noting the differences between the IBC and NFPA 101 - you can access the article here: http://idighardware.com/2015/11/decoded-delayed-egress-vs-controlled-egress/.

If you have any questions/comments, I promise I'll be back tomorrow to check in!