• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deletion of IBC Chapter 34

mark handler

SAWHORSE
ICC Board Approves Deletion of IBC Chapter 34 in Favor of IEBC Reference

The Code Council Board of Directors supported the Membership's recommendation and upheld action taken at the 2012 Public Comment Hearing in Portland on Code Change G201-12 that proposed the deletion of Chapter 34 of the International Building Code (IBC) in favor of a reference to the International Existing Building Code (IEBC). The IEBC, in Chapters 4 (Prescriptive Compliance Method) and 14 (Performance Compliance Methods), includes the same provisions that are in Chapter 34 of the IBC.

ICC eNews

My understanding is it will be referenced therefore adoption, similar to all the standards would not be required, but you still have to buy the book in order to know what is required.

Sorry to be late to the party. Been out of town and then the darn flu hit me. I can help with this one. The scope of all the codes are determined by the board of directors. Chapter 34 was a scoping issue. I'm very happy to say the decision by the board was to fully support the code adoption process voted on by the membership. I can also add that some think that this was a move just to sell more code books. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Hope this helps.