• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Demising Wall Closure at Steel Joist

DTBarch

SAWHORSE
Looking for architect or contractor commentary on ways to best achieve demised closure around the steel joist when your demising wall aligns directly under that steel joist. In our case, it's a tall 16 ga. 8" steel stud/drywall partition that butts directly to the underside centerline of a K-Series 30" steel roof joist supporting a panelized wood deck. What is the most effective detailing methods for closing off the space between the steel members in the joist at the demising line? This is a non-separated, unlimited area Type V-B warehouse building, with the non-rated demising wall between two similar S occupancies.

How wide is the joist? And how much deflection will it have? You are running parallel to it?
I can't tell you exacly how wide the joist is because believe it or not, that information is absent from most all joist manufacturer information charts, however, it's likely around a 7 inch width from outside of angle to outside of angle. We are running in line with it with the partition butting directly under it on the centerline of the joist.

In snow country we see 3+ inches of deflection in some of the joists which would complicate it...If you have minimal deflection, a standard deflection track and either 2 soffits on the sides of the joist to give it a finished look? Or "float" the drywall past the joist to a nailer at the deck....The latter being easier, but maybe not the best idea...

In snow country we see 3+ inches of deflection in some of the joists which would complicate it...If you have minimal deflection, a standard deflection track and either 2 soffits on the sides of the joist to give it a finished look? Or "float" the drywall past the joist to a nailer at the deck....The latter being easier, but maybe not the best idea...
Yep. Good feedback Steveray. Thank you. BTW, is that a TJ in your photo? I bet it's got more than 3" of deflection! Ha! I've got a '03 Rubicon here in AZ

Yep. Good feedback Steveray. Thank you. BTW, is that a TJ in your photo? I bet it's got more than 3" of deflection! Ha! I've got a '03 Rubicon here in AZ
Nope...that is my 1986 CJ7....2005TJ ...1951M38....1968M715...Whatever year J10 plow truck...And various other parts of stuff...I have a problem...

Could you build this, without putting a stud track on the joist?

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 7