• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Demo of vestibule in vacant space

Nicole Brooks

I have submitted a demo plan for a developer who wants to demolish the interior fit-out of a space in an industrial flex building to make it more marketable. The county plans reviewer is refusing to let us demo the vestibule because once the interior fit-out is gone, the space exceeds 3000 sf. His reasoning is that removal of the vestibule would cause a drain on neighboring tenants hvac. Please let me know your thoughts, this seems an odd demand. Obviously if a new tenant goes in the space and requires a vestibule per IECC, that will be addressed then.

mp25

You are making a currently code compliant construction not code compliant by removing the vestibule.
I can see how this could be a gray area - however If i was a plan reviewer I would make the same comment and would ask that either the vestibule is kept or an air curtain installed in its place.

cda

Sawhorse 123
I have submitted a demo plan for a developer who wants to demolish the interior fit-out of a space in an industrial flex building to make it more marketable. The county plans reviewer is refusing to let us demo the vestibule because once the interior fit-out is gone, the space exceeds 3000 sf. His reasoning is that removal of the vestibule would cause a drain on neighboring tenants hvac. Please let me know your thoughts, this seems an odd demand. Obviously if a new tenant goes in the space and requires a vestibule per IECC, that will be addressed then.

So the plan reviewer is an energy engineer????

As in how does he know the energy balance will be thrown off????

Wonder how this space is connected to the rest of the building????

any floor plan to post??