• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Derate NM Cable through top plates of garage

jar546

Forum Coordinator
What IRC code would you cite?

(easy one)

IMG_7714.JPG

Re: Derate NM Cable through top plates of garage

jar546 ---

I don't want to pick on you but ...

The holes are not that bad. I would like to see them further apart, but it does not seem to be a big issue.

There is no need to derate the cables. More than 24" seems to be the "conduit" length that requires derating.

GHRoberts said:
jar546 ---I don't want to pick on you but ...

The holes are not that bad. I would like to see them further apart, but it does not seem to be a big issue.

There is no need to derate the cables. More than 24" seems to be the "conduit" length that requires derating.
In the 2008 NEC you are required to adjust the ampacity of NM cables in accordance with 310.15(B)(2)(a). (See 334.80)

Under the 2005 NEC there was a loop hole that permitted you to not adjust the ampacity if the cables were not bundled for more than 10% or 10 feet. (See 310.15(A)(2) Exception). In the 2008 NEC 334.80 was change to state that the exception to 310.15(A)(2) would not apply to cables bundled through a firestopped framing member.

Chris

What IRC code would you cite?(easy one)
Don't do electrical so where's the foam in the top plate penetrations

N1102.4.1 Building thermal envelope.

The building thermal envelope shall be durably sealed to limit infiltration. The sealing methods between dissimilar materials shall allow for differential expansion and contraction. The following shall be caulked, gasketed, weatherstripped or otherwise sealed with an air barrier material, suitable film or solid material.

1. All joints, seams and penetrations.

10. Other sources of infiltration.

Where is this located in the house?

If this were in an exterior wall of a garage that is not going to be finished, there is no concealed space, therefore no need for fireblocking.

If no fireblocking, then they are not penetrating a firestopped assembly?

I only have 2005 NEC, so I am not aware of all the verbage in the 2008, but this would seem to nullify 335.80 that raider1 quoted.

raider1 said:
In the 2008 NEC you are required to adjust the ampacity of NM cables in accordance with 310.15(B)(2)(a). (See 334.80)Under the 2005 NEC there was a loop hole that permitted you to not adjust the ampacity if the cables were not bundled for more than 10% or 10 feet. (See 310.15(A)(2) Exception). In the 2008 NEC 334.80 was change to state that the exception to 310.15(A)(2) would not apply to cables bundled through a firestopped framing member.

Chris
I don't do a lot of electrical work, but my understanding is:

There is no fire stopping shown. The cables are not bundled. The breaker sizes are not specified. The usual derating from 90 degrees (wire rating) to 60 degrees (NM rating) is sufficient.

jarXXX seems to apply code requirements without enough context to make informed decisions. Perhaps jarXXX could explain how much derating the circuits need -

There is no fire stopping shown. The cables are not bundled.
Let me post the wording of 334.80.

Where more than two NM cables containing two or more current-carrying conductors are installed, without maintaining spacing between the cables, through the same opening in wood framing that is to be fire- or draft-stopped using thermal insulation, caulk, or sealing foam, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be adjusted in accordance with Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) and the provisions of 310.15(A)(2), Exception, shall not apply.
This section say "through the same opening in wood framing that is to be fire or draft stopped using thermal insulation, caulk, or sealing foam."

So IMHO the picture shows cables that run through the same opening and the building code do require that the holes in the top plate be draft stopped so adjustment of the allowable ampacity needs to be done.

Chris

raider1 said:
So IMHO the picture shows cables that run through the same opening and the building code do require that the holes in the top plate be draft stopped so adjustment of the allowable ampacity needs to be done.

Chris
I agree, if it is required to be firestopped.

TimNY said:
raider1 said:

Chris
I agree, if it is required to be firestopped.

I would say the the top plate in the picture would need to be fireblocked in accordance with 2006 IRC section R602.8 #4.

And 2009 IRC section R302.11 #4

R302.11 Fireblocking. In combustible construction,fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft

openings (both vertical and horizontal) and to form an effective

fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the

roof space.

Fireblocking shall be provided in wood-frame construction

in the following locations:

4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires

at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to

resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion.

The material filling this annular space shall not be

required to meet the ASTM E 136 requirements.
Chris

fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft openings.
The pictures do not show this as a concealed area. (Perhaps jarXXX can clarify this point.)

It is a garage wall that will be sheetrocked as there is a bonus room above. You are looking at the inside of the exterior garage wall that will be behind the bonus room kneewalls.

George, trying to figure out the jarxxx thing. Why the x's? Easier to type? :?

It being a concealed location per jar's explanation, I think we're in agreement that it violated the NEC. Get out ye old recipro saw, notch it, staple em and put a 16ga strap across the top plate.

However, I disagree that 602.8 #4 (2006) or 302.11 #4 (2009) applies if it is not a concealed space. You can't get to #4 until you've met the requirements of the section first-- namely, "In combustible construction, fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft openings"

My interpretation would be that since it is not concealed [in my theoretical scenario, not in this particular photo], you don't get to read any further and apply the subsections. In my opinion, it would be like going to the shaft enclosure section and picking something out of there when you don't have a shaft enclosure to begin with.

I see nothing wrong here. These cables are already derated for residential applications so much that there would have to be nine current carrying conductors before any further derating is required. Further, IF this will be a concealed location (looks like an exterior wall, and told in the garage) the typical insulaton to be applied suffices as draft stop.

TCN said:
...there would have to be nine current carrying conductors before any further derating is required...
Two of the holes appear to have 10 current carrying conductors, one appears to have 12, and one 14.

TimNY,

The drilled holes WILL be concealed once the sheetrock is installed, so R602.8, #4 would apply.

It is a garage wall that will be sheetrocked as there is a bonus room above. You are looking at the inside of the exterior garage wall that will be behind the bonus room kneewalls.
jar,

What's up with the lone "orange" conductor not installed in the drilled holes? :?:

I don't see a problem with the installation. They would need to seal the holes.

I would say the following section allows this type of installation. The conductors are only grouped together for 3" then they are seperated.

310.15 Ampacities for Conductors Rated 0–2000 Volts.

(B) Tables.

2) Adjustment Factors.

(a) More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable. Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three, or where single conductors or multiconductor cables are installed without maintaining spacing for a continuous length longer than 600 mm (24 in.) and are not installed in raceways, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be reduced as shown in Table 310.15(B)(2)(a). Each current-carrying conductor of a paralleled set of conductors shall be counted as a current-carrying conductor.

You sure there's a room above? Looks like rafters going up beside the joist to me.

Mule,

Jeff said that this was the openings in the wall that will be located behind the ' pony wall ' above.

How's your recuperation going?

Recupe going slow but getting better every day.

The Golden Years my foot!!! Titanium baby!!!!!

Thanks for asking.

north star said:
TimNY,

The drilled holes WILL be concealed once the sheetrock is installed, so R602.8, #4 would apply.

[/size][/b]

Yes, see below.

TimNY said:
It being a concealed location per jar's explanation, I think we're in agreement that it violated the NEC.
I agree with you.. The point was that I believe there are differing opinions as to whether or not you have to firestop the hole if it is not concealed. We were not originally privy to the location of the penetrations, and the location made a difference to some, and not to others.

TimNY said:
My interpretation would be that since it is not concealed [in my theoretical scenario, not in this particular photo]
Chris and I got a bit off topic, apologies. I tried to be clear.

Tim

TimNY,

No apologies are necessary! :)

In my own sort of "over-the-top" kind of way, I was attempting to be clear.

I hope that I helped in the discussion of this topic.

Mule, I agree, ...them thar " Golden Years ' ain't looking so golden to me

either. Wishing you the very best in your recuping time. Now, get back

out there and kick some code butt! :lol:

Looks like plenty of space to me. They are not jammed through the typical barely big enough hole. If they stuck a less than 24" chase in, they would be fine but the heat dissipation would be worse. This is the concern. Draft stop the holes appropriately and move on I say.